Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Total = 12.6 MILES =

Riding My Bike To Work? 6.3 MILES... some elevation change? some traffic?

So that's a cool website that I use in order to map my route- its trying to go nationwide and i say why not?! Most people should get off their asses and bike to work- especially in the fatlands- i mean flatlands. I sit at my desk all day just staring at tv, i might as well have a couch, bcs i have the potato chips (thanks breakroom! there are currently 4 giant bags of doritos, ruffles, sun chips and some fancy trader joe one with goat cheese) not to mention the chocolate and cheese-its. And since the weather is no longer (at least for now) in the 100's i decided to give it a try again, bcs it is pretty cool to come to work relaxed and happy- and getting there is all downhill so it's a quicker bikeride. Getting home is admittedly a bit of a bitch but it builds character right and makes me less depressed and moody...

So here's the, also fancy, breakdown of my workout, which you can plug in and get- I don't really know what this first one means but I'm sure it's good right that it's not going into the air?
Total Hydrocarbons = 0.039 Lbs Total Carbon Monoxide = 0.29 Lbs Total Carbon Dioxide = 5.771 Lbs Total Nitrous Oxide= 0.019 Lbs Total Gas= 0.3 Gal

This one is especially my favorite:
Total Cost Per Day = $7.36Total Cost Per Month = $147.19 Total Cost Per Year = $1766.29.
What the fuck right? and that's IF i have no where else to go- ever... so actually it's way more. I mean, WTF, OMG! Currently I'm only biking, or will only be biking 2/3x a week bcs I've got shit to do like yoga, and places to go bcs i'm cool, but it'll be saving me at least half that right? And hopefully whereever I go I can bike there next. Plus biking is all elitest and special club feeling bcs not many people do it- so why not- it's funny bcs there's no in btw in the Valley- either its male hispanics who have no choice or tricked out riders with the spandex and flashy glasses. Add the girl factor, who is overweight and slightly above middle of the road and you have a true biking oddity. It makes me feel all special and "one of a kind"...

And of course the all important calorie counter:
Total Calories = 677 + 569= 1246.
What?! NO WAY! could i be on the way to fulfilling my weight loss dreams and goals? If i keep it up- yes. if i don't throw a tantrum and go to mc'ds for some tasty chicken nuggets, yes. so here's to hoping i have friends who help me long after this post has come and gone- and to my health and to yours too. don't worry your ass gets used to the bike seat (esp if you get those gel ones), you can get a mirror for the handle bars and lights for riding at night, and the traffic isn't that scary- i promise.

ciao bee-atches. M.
okay. do it. it's good for you.

6 comments:

Kurt said...

your food bill is gonna go up.

mendacious said...

dammit kurt! must there always be a downside. but it's true. this includes all the healthy places i must now frequent... and then with all the calories i burn i usually wake up every morning ravenous. for no good reason and crave eggs and sausage. i must try to eat as many things from work as possible while i can- safe things include: string cheese, carrots, and trail mix... and not crave the $2.18 double cheeseburger and fries from the dollar menu. dammit. that's like 710 calories right there.

Anonymous said...

The problem is bad food makes you crave more bad food. The days I eat less junk (like today, mostly) I crave less junk, and therefore stay away from the kitchen :)

Just keep working at making good choices and they start to add up.

Just don't be like the chick on Forest Lawn who swerved out of the bike lane in front of me WITHOUT LOOKING. Hello! Car vs. bike...my car will hurt you more!

Hooray for your biking!

~sarah said...

here's another biking oddity for you: on saturday, i saw this old guy strolling on my street with a bike, a nice bike. the old guy was wearing a t-shirt that ended just above the bottom of his, well, bottom. and that was ALL he was wearing! i can see why he wouldn't want to actually ride the bike in that clothing condition...

Cue said...

Dude, this is awesome. Am linking to my site.

Somebody's Mom said...

It's amazing how many women tell me that they never learned to ride a bike. It makes me appreciate what a cool childhood I had. In the city with no trees to climb, and rarely a lawn to run through the sprinklers on in the summer. I had my own bike. I was a very long time learning to not rely on the training wheels. and it is true, you never forget. It had been some 20 years that I hadn't ridden when I tried again.
-GIGO-