Tuesday, August 8, 2006

a place that will suck your whole life away


There are just so many other things I'd like to be doing with my life. Finishing the book I'm reading and starting another. Painting the magazine rack I started 2 months ago and never got back to. Writing our will (seriously). Journaling, watching TV, painting my toes. Playing hopscotch. The list goes on and on. So why I continue to eff with MySpace in the night hours is beyond me.

Three more people I found last night (all from high school):

1. A girl I kind of knew who's now an illustrator of kid's books, of which I'm green. She sat at my lunch table in high school, and in grade school we were in the Brownies together. Don't know if she remembers me, but she seems like the kind of person I'd like to hang out with now. Yet it would seem odd to send a message? And what, really, would be the point.

2. A girl who in high school had "problems." Aside from being painfully thin, but in an attractive, goth kind of way, it seemed like there was always something, whether it was drugs or a boyfriend beating her up or a pregnancy and then a miscarriage. She was once in trouble for wearing a black nightie to school and trying to pass it off as a dress. She has a boyfriend and a daughter now. I was frankly surprised to see she was still alive. (I mean that in a good way.)

3. A guy whom I sat next to on the bus traveling down from upstate NY to Disney World in the 9th grade. We didn't talk much. I feel like he just wasn't that smart? Like you could shake him and maybe hear some rattling up in his head? He's becoming a doctor.

I am NOT logging in today. I mean it.

3 comments:

Kurt said...

People are curious about people. But the Internet makes it possible to indulge yourself perhaps too much.

Cue said...

It's insanely addictive, and I think there should be some sort of warning as such. I was talking to Meg about this the other night -- my apparant need to keep re-doing my page as if it defines me. Which, in some limited sense, I suppose it does.

I've given up on the hiatus, myself. I can stop drinking for weeks at a time, but apparently cannot resist reading my messages on MySpace. Now THAT's sad.

mendacious said...

it gives you access to the future which i don't think people should have even if we are looking at it in the present. so far myspace has brought me news of death, a wild party, resentment, and ambivilant voyeurism. may all of you go forth with caution.