Friday, August 18, 2006

that is so "three moons"

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I love this new show on TV called Three Moons Over Milford. I started watching because the commercials seemed so Gilmore-ish, to the point where I almost thought they used the same set to film. In fact, the actor who plays April's mom on Gilmore is actually on Three Moons.

The premise of the show is that the moon has (already) split into three pieces, and everyone thinks the world is going to end soon, so they're living their lives accordingly. I'm not addicted to Three Moons yet, it's kind of still on probation in my viewing schedule, but so far, so good. It has what so many shows lack, particularly any show dealing with such a monumental premise (i.e. the imminent end of the world), and that is finesse. Subtlety. And characters! And it's in a small Vermont town, not some big city. And it's funny and smart, not at all hyped or heavy-handed. Like instead of people forming a riot as they race to escape town, and shooting each other over what seems to be the last SUV on earth, the show's opening instead features, among other scenes, a woman watering the lawn naked, and an old lady riding the back of a hot young guy's motorcyle.

It kind of reminds me of the world now anyway, which I think is kind of the point, secretly or not-so-secretly in the minds of the writers. Any given day hearing the news, a person would think we're in our last days. Our "three moons" is the war, countries harboring or not harboring weapons of mass destruction, the latest terror plot, and skinny, sketched-out sociopaths in Thailand with their pants hiked up way-high, claiming to have murdered a six-year-old beauty queen. Ten years ago. Ahem.

On the show, the characters say things like "Is this a three moons thing?" or, "That is so three moons." I love it. And on the episode I just watced, Mack does some classifying of the three types that have emerged in the aftermath of the three moons:
1. Follow Your Dreamers--those who didn't want to miss their chance to do what they most wanted to do, and so just upped and left town to do it.
2. Chicken Little--those running around in a panic, worried constantly about exactly when the sky will fall, and
3. The Muddle-Throughers--those who, like Mack, are just sort of doing what they do, trying to get through the day, or life, or whatever.

Which kind of made me think, if today's world is really like Three Moons Over Milford (or maybe every generation is like this, in its own way?), then what category do I fall under. I tend to think I'm a Muddle-Througher too, but also a person who fights very hard against the natural tendency to be a Chicken Little. And also who maybe forgets too often that I used to be an adament Follow Your Dreamer--and that maybe I shouldn't try so hard to lose all of that.

Maybe.
Hummm.

9 comments:

Kim said...

What channel is this show on? I am intrigued!

I would like to think that I am a follow your dreamer, and I am sometimes, but I am also a bit of the other two, as well. Is there an option for someone who, as an escape mechanism, watches ungodly amounts of Celebreality?

penelope said...

That would be a Muddle-Througher, I believe. Celebreality helps us to muddle through, right?

P.S. Are you watching Celebrity Fit Club 4??? Because it's awesome.

Three Moons is on ABCFamily on Sunday nights. I had that in the post originally, then thought ABCFamily might make the show sound unbelievably dorky. Oh well. I am an unbelievable dork, so I suppose it fits. Secret's out!

Kurt said...

you have heard of so many shows that I've never even heard mentioned!

penelope said...

it's a skill.

Kim said...

What about Falcon Beach, do you watch that? My friend Amy says it's the greatest show ever. I believe it's also on ABCFamily... I guess one of the characters? Got a giant splinter in her butt and had to go to the hospital.

penelope said...

I tried watching an ep or two, but I got bored. Maybe I should give it a second chance?

mendacious said...

yes, but what about windfall- why not that?

Cue said...

I am a Follow Your Dreamer who is currently trying to stay put... which gives me mini panic attacks evey, oh, half-hour or so.

I'm with Kurt -- you DO have the market cornered on TV knowledge. I'm all like, "what's that?" No clue. I'm so out of the TV loop.

penelope said...

i was bored with windfall after approximately 2 1/2 episodes. i mean, i love luke perry, i do. but some of the plots were so cheeseball (i.e. the plot with the criminal and the lawyer chick who was going split his share with him?? ugh). as was the dialogue--but not in an addictive, i can't stop watching this because it's so bad way. cheeseball plots need to be self-aware of their cheesiness to appeal. also, too many characters, couldn't get attached. the show would have to be done as well as LOST for it to really work.

my current aspiration is to be on The World Series of Pop Culture (on VH1). hey wait... maybe I have a little Follow Your Dreamer in me after all.