Thursday, August 24, 2006

this does not work for me

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Dear Network TV,

We have to talk about the fall schedule. I, possibly more than anyone, am *ramped* for each and every favorite show season premiere that will air in the months of September and October. As I'm watching the promos, however, it is occurring to me that we have a problem. A big, big problem. And that would be Thursday nights.

At 8 pm, we have Survivor. CBS, you are good to go, and may leave this meeting. NBC, I presume you will continue to air My Name is Earl and The Office in the 9 pm to 10 pm slot as usual. And Fox, you'll be back with The OC, sans Marissa, of course, at the same time. My DVR, as it has proven in the past, is up to the job.

ABC, though, here is where you come in. I believe I shown you plenty of devotion on Sunday nights between Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy, and also on Wednesdays with Lost. I also plan to watch the new JJ Abrams show at 10 pm on Thursday, 6 degrees, as it a) it involves JJ Abrams, and b) its cast seems to include Natasha from S&TC. So, what on God's green earth are you thinking, moving Grey's to Thursday, too? I mean, I could cry. Clearly, as Grey's and The Office are on my Top 5 Favorite Shows list, I will remain devoted. And I understand Thursday night is the biggest night on TV all week. And it would make "sense," if you want to call it that, to move one of your top dramas over to compete with the big dogs.

But networks--CBS, you might want to come back in the room for this--does it make sense to split the viewership share between the 4 of you on Thursdays, rather than spreading the love around throughout the week? ABC, you can be the star on Sundays! NBC, you can split Thursdays with CBS. And Fox--couldn't you, I don't know, take Saturdays?

It's obvious that I am either going to have to bust out the old VCR tapes and get reacquainted with the machine settings to tape The OC every Thursday night, or else break up with the show altogether. I don't know what's going to happen. But Fox, this is all ABC's fault, you should know. It was a beautiful relationship, these past few years with you, Ryan, Summer and Seth. Leave it to poor--that's right, POOR marketing sense to destroy what was a delicate balance between Thursday Night DVRing and me.

Then again, The OC does kind of suck lately, so maybe this isn't such a bad thing.

Miffed Nonetheless,
penelope

P.S. I just looked up Natasha (Bridget Moynahan) on the IMDb, and she was born in my hometown. Huh. That's, um, unexpected.

15 comments:

Daniel Bruckner said...

Yo Pen-ster,
what do you think about this new segregated Survivor? Personally, I can't wait. I haven't watched Survivor in years, but this, to me, is just what the show needed. Though it seems the entire world is against it. Fine, I'll stand alone! Just like I stood alone when the world abandoned Tom Cruise. Tom, I love you.

penelope said...

johann,
The cheese will continue to stand alone on the TomKat issue. But re: Survivor, I can't wait, either! It's crazy. They've got some cajones, those producers. Part of me is like, whoa, really, they're segregating teams by race? Isn't that awfully...un-PC? But then I'm like, YES, it's un-PC! And I like that.

I think in the end it will serve to both reinforce and break down certain stereotypes. Like, there will be bonding/separation over each other's similarities/differences within and amongst the tribes, but also people will realize they have commonalities just being people--and also differences, regardless of race. People are just people.

This new Survivor is be just like the Amazon, Battle of the Sexes, only edgier. It's on fire.

penelope said...

That's "is" not "is be."
I talk good.

ashley said...

You is be very insightful.

It's funny, isn't it? That we've all gotten SO PC that anything that even remotely points to characteristics that define us or are the small grain of truth in some stereotypes, it's almost scary. Like we feel that something terrible is going to happen.

penelope said...

I know. Is it all about being polite or kind, or is it about not being sued or having your kneecaps broken for saying something offensive. I ponder.

Daniel Bruckner said...

You're right, people are too afraid they might say something offensive (and have their kneecaps broken).

Still, after going to the Survivor website, I've gotta say my money's on the Gooks (or the Spics). Nothing against Crackers and Porch Monkeys, it just doesn't look like Mark Burnett gave them very strong teams. Typical Limey.

Anonymous said...

narrow-minded halfwit. Another fool the world should ignore. I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Your words are unnecessary and your credo adolescent.' May a boulder roll over you in your sleep.

boycott this blatant racist!!!

penelope said...

Oh boy.

penelope said...

P.S. johann, you crack me up.

mendacious said...

crackers are tasty. i like ones with salt best.

Anonymous said...

He cracks you up?!?!?!?!

Then you, too, are a RACIST!

My spirit has been broken by your public encouragement for such a callous and hurtful act!

EVERYONE, list to me. Please do the right thing, and boycott these authors of INTOLERANCE!

THIS PLACE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A HAVEN FOR HATE, A PODIUM FOR PREJUDICE, A BORDELLO FOR BIGOTS.

I, for one, will never be back!

So help me GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

penelope said...

A bordello for bigots?

Teehee.

Matt said...

I liked a "podium for prejudice." Anonymous does have flair. I for one cannot wait for the new season of Survivor. I think it's brilliant. For one, it gets more minorities on the show, which has always been a criticism. It's not like they're going to have an immunity challenge that involves seeing who can burn a cross on the African-American's beach faster.

Anonymous said...

Or a reward challenge where you try to avoid island deportation after drunk driving and accidentally running someone over. Free tacos to the winner!

mendacious said...

yes, bordello is a great word. someone else brought up what might be next- religous survivor- jews on one island, christians on another... ooo. it's endless.