Monday, August 28, 2006

OMG turn it around.

Penelope Facts
Serving Size: Varies?
Servings Per Container: Also varies.

Amount Per Serving Calories: Cannot count due to neuroses (see below).
Total Fat: Mostly from M&Ms.
Cholesterol: Supposedly okay, may have some bad genes? Not too worried about it.
Sodium: Okay, considering this day and age of sodium-filled food products. Usually only adds salt when cooking.
Total Carbohydrates: Terrible by Atkins standards. Eats pasta constantly. But hey, regardless of diet you still might slip and fall on an icy sidewalk and bite it someday.
Protein: Probably not enough. Mendacious would have a fit. Must eat more jerky.

Vitamins & Minerals: Good! An A+. Takes vitamins every day without fail.


I tend to think that I am, at least more so than in the past, a fairly laid-back person. I mean, by comparison, I'd like to give myself an ounce of credit for not being a totally uptight freak. I notice sometimes, though, that I am extraordinarily rigid. Many, many things I feel I have extreme patience for, and despite my lengthy
pet peeve lists, it's not like my world splinters into tiny pieces if things don't go exactly as planned. But, for instance, I wouldn't last 5 seconds on Survivor. Because everything is fine so long as certain conditions are met. I sunburn easily, I'm a mosquito magnet, I function terribly if I'm starving, and frankly I don't know how long I would last without appropriate hair products. If stranded on an island with 15 other people, a camera crew and Jeff Probst, I would most likely kill or be killed in under 4 hours.

Anyway, I am not particuarly obsessed with caloric intake. I really believe that these things sort of even themselves out, and I just don't care. Don't eat until you feel like puking, that's a good marker. Jeans tights? Lay off the Edy's Dibs you bought (ahem) at COSTCO the other day. Granted, I would love to at some point drop down to my pre-pregnancy weight, that would be fantastic. But I'm overall more interested in feeling healthy than anything.


So why do I still turn the boxes around on the shelf so that the Nutrition Facts panel faces the wall? I've had this habit since college, back when I was trying desperately to avoid the Freshman 15 (I didn't), and I could argue that the colored side of the box with all the pictures is more aesthetically appealing than the black and white. Actually, it is. And I do like uniformity on the pantry shelf, none of this boxes all facing every which way crap. But mostly, I know that if I start looking at the numbers, I'll get obsessed and start pulling out my calculator every day to punch in numbers and worry about how it can all possibly work out. Just like the banking. Yesterday, I noticed a Ritz cracker box facing the wrong way on the shelf, and tried to walk by it and let it go, but my fingers started twitching. Must. Turn. Box. AROUND. GAH! And so I did. I felt a lot better afterward.

3 comments:

Somebody's Mom said...

Monk has nothing on you.

penelope said...

I love Monk. :)

mendacious said...

i'm obsessed with: turning off lights, the clicker signal in the car, clearing the table of all erroneous clutter, lint: when i stare at a persons back... oh i'll just post this. xoxo.