Friday, September 29, 2006

you mean that whole race thing was just a gimmick?

I knew the 4 tribes divided by race wouldn't last very long. They never sustain the 4-tribe thing, and it makes sense that they used the race division as a gimmick to get more viewers. I guess it still plays a part, since it is in everyone's head now, both players and viewers, and as such, comments are still made (or deemed more desirable in the editing room) regarding race. Like, Yul and Becky still have their solidarity, having bonded over the fact that they're both Korean. Or maybe it was just that they connected as human beings. They are, actually, so cute together I feel they should be married and have babies. Then there's Cao Boi, who says inane things like, Mi Casa es Su Casa--they're Hispanic, right? a-ha-ha-ha, upon arriving at Aitu's beach. Um, yeah... Or else the old Aitu's are just being hospitable because it's a good strategy and why not make the best of the mergers? Cao Boi, for as charmingly dorky as he is, says some pretty dumb things.

Whatever, though, I still like Cao Boi, and he's managed to stick around in spite of his Loose Cannon Status. Last night they voted out Cecilia, who frankly was probably too normal for us to get to know better. I most enjoyed watching the new tribe dynamics play out between people like Jonathan and Jessica, who are apparently on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to their Survivor agenda. Jonathan wants to win, and Jessica, in the manner of Marquesas' Gabriel, wants to make friends. Maybe she'll start playing the game a little harder later on, if she lasts that long. She seems to be riding the right set of coat-tails at this point, anyway.

Other highlights: Candice looking mortified when the members of the old Aitu recounted Billy's ridiculous confession of love. As suspected, she meant the "We love you" (not the "I love you") as an offhandedly sympathetic response to his "I'm next." Also, the paint-filled eggs being squished at the tribe reconfiguration? Fantastically over-the-top, and made me nostalgic for Double Dare. Oh, and also, Yul saying he would save Becky with the immunity idol if it came down to it. Awwww. I think I really believe him, too. Married, babies! I'm calling it first.

11 comments:

Matt said...

Ahhhhhh. I missed Survivor because I was following the president around. No kidding. Being in a presidential motorcade is pretty cool, even if you are seven vehicles behind a president. Funny thing is, Alyssa got caught in traffic because they closed all the exits to the Interstate while we rolled through. Still, I would have chosen Survivor, especially since nothing happened and I didn't even get to write a story out of it. This all underscores the fact that I must have Tivo.

mendacious said...

i myself was wondering at the startling lack of commentary... i withheld a brilliant post to end all brilliant posts bcs i didn't want to compete with survivor fridays... and frankly the readership is letting this poster down... tivo would probably clear up all of this!

penelope said...

long live tivo! survivor's way more important than the president.

Daniel Bruckner said...

What the hell was the point????

Really, two weeks (six days), and that's it? What did Probst call it: the greatest socialogical experiment ever undertaken? And then bam, that's it?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Sorry, I'm so upset I'm not really going to be able to contribute much.

The only aspect of this entire show I enjoyed was the unnecessary shot of the paint-filed egg splattering on Cecelia's boobs. And then she gets voted off!!!! I was really looking forward to having her around for a couple more weeks.

And Pen, Becky and Yul do not look cute together. Becky is cool and all, but she is going to burn Yul like you've never seen. Just you watch. You can't tell me she wouldn't take advantage of him if she thought she needed to. While on the contrary, you have to believe he would never double-cross her.

Yul is too honest to win at this game.

SW said...

Um, ms. p, could you touch upon Ugly Betty, PLEASE?? Add it into your rotation of survivor and gilmores, because i'd love to hear what you have to say about this fantastic show.

penelope said...

I love Ugly Betty!! Will do.

Daniel Bruckner said...

and also 'The Bachelor in Rome.'

'to marry a prince, that's every girl's dream.'

penelope said...

I cut myself off from The Bachelor 2 seasons ago. General rule is if the phrase "I am literally wasting my life away" pops into my head for 3 episodes in a row, it's off the DVRroll.

It just made me mad that they always broke up later on.

~sarah said...

i love your updates b/c now i am "in the know" and can join in office chatter about reality shows w/o having to actually watch any of them. thank you!

ugly betty... i enjoyed it, but it's very "devil wears prada" for tv, don't you think? at least, the first show was surprisingly similar.

Daniel Bruckner said...

Hmmmm, you must be watching it sober. Which, yes, is a mistake. No, you have to make up a ‘The Bachelor: Rome’ drinking game. Simply come up with a couple of phrases you think might come up in the show, and down a shot each time you hear one. My phrases for tonight are:

‘He is so hot’
‘She is such a fake.’
‘I can’t believe he gave her a rose.’
‘Did he kiss you?’
‘I could definitely get used to being with a prince.’

If you don't drink, just substitute the booze with jello jigglers. It's nearly the same experience.

Gotta go, the show’s about to start!!!!

Daniel Bruckner said...

Oh, and I've got my money on Andrea, for anyone who's playing along.