Thursday, September 28, 2006

this is what's wrong with the world today


And I, once again being the Eternal Optimist, do not like when people say that.

But Monique, that chickie on America's Next Top Model, the one who everyone in the house can't stand? I kind of can't stand her either. She's 19, a freaking prima donna, and has a lot to learn. So in many ways it's not her fault. But is she ever going to learn? I predict no. And here's why: daughters, with their inate need and desire to please their mothers, will try over the course of their life to emulate and/or do what their mothers say is best. As Meg Ryan said in French Kiss, "Even people who say they hate their mothers love their mothers." And yes, these are blanket statements, but there's at least a kernel of truth there, so let's just go with it. In this case, it's not even up for debate.

Monique spent over 3 hours on the only house phone the other night, the last bit of which was spent sitting in the phone room and smirking to herself while listening to that "If you'd like to make a call blah blah blah beepbeepbeepbeepbeep" message playing over and over again. For much of the time, she was on the phone with her mother, and granted, she is perfectly entitled to speak with her mother, and even for a little bit of time if she's having a rough go of it (which, being a biotch, she is). She was informed politely, and then not so politely, and then downright rudely (deserved) that she is not the only person in the house who needs the phone, and others actually need it for reasonable, valid matters, such as getting an apartment deposit back. Monique, in response, screams back at the girls, cries to her mom and what does her mom say?

What does her mom say??

You just be the princess on the throne that you are.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is why jerk-faces, asshats, and worse, much worse, behave the way that they do: Bad mommies.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pen - help me! When is ANTM on?? I tried to find it last night at 8 and again at 9. Instead I watched The Biggest Loser for 2 hours - which made me cry and, in turn, made J. laugh at me.

mendacious said...

It's on- on Wednesdays at 8 right pen on the new CW.

penelope said...

yup! channel 29, 8 pm.

Anonymous said...

Ack! I looked there last night. Sniff. It wasn't there on MY TV.

Next week, I will NOT be thwarted!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so excited that I am finally watching a show that you guys are watching (since I couldn't force you to watch Flavor of Love) so I can join in the commenting!

Monique? Total beeotch! I kind of wanted Anchal to pistol whip her wit the receiver, but that might just be the Flavor of Love-ness in me coming out again...

penelope said...

I love Anchal! I love that she now has a "three-finger forehead" now instead of a two. Because who thinks about stuff like that.

mendacious said...

but you know also i'm just tired of jay's bitchy queen act- condescending and snide with a stick up his ass... valid comments or no. i just had to get that off my chest. phew. pass the popcorn.

~sarah said...

amen!