Wednesday, September 20, 2006

anti-scissor sister

It is long past time for a haircut. The reason I know it's time is that, in addition to a long series of successive Bad Hair Days where the only acceptable style has been the wadded-up ponytail, entire handfuls of hair are vacating my scalp on a daily basis. Probably the latter has a lot to do with the former, but regardless, it is alarming and I have to make a call.

Unfortunately, I despise haircuts. And even though I've found a stylist who I really like and who gave me the Best Haircut Ever last spring, I'm still hesitating. Every moment of the experience, from shampoo to blow dry, makes me feel some degree of awkward and many degrees of uncool. I wonder why something so easy and common has to be so hard?

But, if I wait much longer, I'll lose so much hair I won't have to worry about haircuts again, like ever. Hummm. I must weigh these options carefully.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have no fear, Pen-- I, too, have had severely bad haircuts-- remember the Reverse Mullet I got at the beginning of our third year?-- which is why I chose not to get my hair cut at all for about three years. But now, with my new sassy-ass haircut, I feel like I rule the entire universe!

Vivalacrap said...

Just go long and say you LIKE IT.

Kurt said...

I hate haircuts too.

Matt said...

My hair is also falling out, although it has nothing to do with it being too long. Ever since we moved back from North Carolina, there's a spot on the top of my head where I can see a little more scalp each day. I would be remiss if I didn't blame Ohio at least a little bit.

Megs said...

My hair falls out when it gets too long as well. My hairdresser says that this is not true, that it's normal shedding and that it just looks like more because each hair is longer. But I don't believe that. I believe that I'm balding!!

I just had a bad haircut that everyone likes, so what do I know.

mendacious said...

some women do suffer from baldness-more than i thought at 30%.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that, while a victim of some bad haircuts in my time, I fully embrace the haircut. I LOVE getting my haircut. I told Crazy J if I were rich that he I would pay him to follow me around the way Ken Paves trails Jessica Simpson, attaching and cutting her extensions.

Somebody's Mom said...

So, Pen, You could braid your hair and just tie it at the end with ribbon. silk ribbon. But don't wait too long of your new great stylist may move on and you will have to suffer at the hands er scissors of another until you find a great stylist again.

Karima said...

i'm in the process of a growout to donate to "locks of love" so i never have to get haircuts except for some groomin' - i like it. i might do that forever. grow out, cut off 10 inches, grow out....

Anonymous said...

Where are Pen & M??? I need my Ivy/Misadventure! (Because I have no life, I need to partake regularly of yours!)

mendacious said...

thank you for your validation! we will with renewed efforts attempt to blog- i must admit my courage/interest had temporaily failed me.