Friday, March 28, 2008

Not that I don't love the earth

We've been pinching pennies lately, for several reasons: debt consolidation, lack of overtime hours, and oh, the fact that we have two children now. Gets expensive. So here are the some of things I've been doing that in another life I might have considered... fussy, boring, overly-involved, obsessive, over-the-top, impractical, plain old can't-be-bothered-with-it, etc. A lot of these make it sound like we're all Going Green with Al Gore, but no, we're just cheap bastards.


*I have severely cut our paper towel usage. Paper towels will be used only for things like... cooking bacon. For cleanups, I purchased a pack of microfiber cloths ($8.99 for 12, found in Target's automotive section) and throw them in the laundry when they're dirty. They wash well, although they tend to cling to the other clothes like velcro, which is a little weird. They do clean up better than paper towels, however, which I'm very impressed with.

*Items we really go through, I buy in bulk. Items we wouldn't go through if we have a half-ton of it around, I buy as needed. I'm very judicious about this fund allocation, and I do find more and more items switching over to the bulk list, because I am also getting very strict about finishing everything we buy.

*We use the front and backs of scrap paper, especially for K.Lo's art projects.

*We eat leftovers for lunch. Or sometimes, if I don't think we'll make it through the leftovers before they die, I put them in the freezer for a whole nother dinner.

*Nearly all of the kids' clothes are hand-me-downs or gifts. Every once in awhile I can't restrain myself, but I do try.

*I bought the light bulbs that last 7 years. But I won't use them in the fixtures I know will burn out long before the 7 years is up.

*Unless I take a trip, I only fill up my own car with gas maybe once a month. Because I never go anywhere far. (This one's sort of a lucky accident.)

*I use the aquarium water on the front-porch plants...which are dying because I need to water them in between, too, but that's another story.

*We wear a lot of clothes (pants, pjs, some shirts, not underwear for heaven's sake) more than once to cut back on laundry, only wash what's really dirty... which N.Lo helps along faster than we'd like. Babies are so messy.

*I make most of my own cleaning products. The only thing I don't make (yet) are laundry detergent and dishwasher cleaner. And furniture polish, but I'm really thinking about it. Oh, and granite cleaner, I probably will not make that, unless I find a good recipe. I have 2 multi-purpose sprays that also happen to be non-toxic. Dust repellant spray, shower cleaner, and general bathroom cleaner. I also use various product concoctions to clean the toilet and also the drains. I use straight vinegar to clean the coffee pot and also instead of Jet Dry in the dishwasher. I haven't had to make a glass cleaner yet, since I still have some store-bought on hand, but I will eventually.

*I downgraded our cable/internet package--oh wait, no, I upgraded it. Because it was actually cheaper to get the faster internet service, go figure. And that price is locked in now for 2 years, won't change even when everything goes to HD.

*We have the cheapest possible price plan for our phones, and never go over our minutes, and do not excessively text. Actually, the whole street could probably use our minutes and we still wouldn't go over, because I, as previously discussed in some other blog post of the past, am not a Phone Person, and we have rollover out the yang.

*We just switched trash companies, thanks to a hot tip from erinhjones. Servicetrash.com, baby. Ten bucks a month.

*We only give the kids baths once or twice a week. Oh wait, maybe that's just laziness. But seriously, too many baths dries out their skin anyway.

*And when I do give K.Lo a bath, I just plug the drain when I start the water running, and then mix it with the hot to get it the right temp, rather than wasting all that water at the beginning. I'm also considering (will I go this far?) getting a bucket and collecting unused water from the shower, like when you're waiting for it to heat up? But I don't know, it seems very hard core. But I could maybe use that for the fish tank, and the dying plants so maybe they'll live again.

*I never throw out gift bags, unless they're torn or whatever... and thusly never have to buy a gift bag. Same with tissue paper. And mailing envelopes/boxes.

*I also buy cards in bulk. Or at the dollar store, where incidentally, they cost less than a dollar.

*I buy books and music with gift certificates only, and otherwise they'll be used, like at the famed Library Book Sale, or on Amazon Marketplace. Or I don't buy a book at all, if I can get it at the library or borrow. Or burn, for music. And movies, I'm trying to not buy those at all, for the time being, and just rent from Netflix or ask for it for Christmas. Except with Dan in Real Life, I totally caved on that one, but it was my birthday we were celebrating.

*And, as you probably already well know, I am the bargain shopper. When it comes to pretty much everything.

So, welcome to my nerdy, cheapskate life. I share this list not to brag, or complain, or make you feel compulsive about your own life (god, please don't), but more just to catalogue our efforts? Because we are. Making an effort.

5 comments:

erin j said...

YEAH for trash service...wahoo!!! LOVE THEM!!! The library book sale is next Friday BTW! We are totally going Friday night and coughing up the 15 bucks to be members. Most of Elijah's books come from there...
You have to share the recipes with batroom cleaner...but only if they really work! I've been using the multi-purpose 7th gen stuff, but that's expensive...though works GREAT on our hardwoods!
Great list...very motivating actually.

Anonymous said...

Money you didn't spend yesterday can be spent on funner things tomorrow. (or it will prevent debt, clearly that's a good thing)

ashley said...

I think this is super impressive. Some people can't figure out how to do this - how to budget in reasonable and thoughtful ways. I think you deserve something fun for being able to orchestrate all this.

Andria said...

Great list - definitely inspiring and kudos to you for "doing your part"
I was surprised to be shaking my head on a lot of them that we do as well - wear clothes over again (except socks, underwear and stains); fewer baths for Wyatt (Dellaina gets them pretty regularly); immediately stop up the tub for her bath; use BOTH sides of the paper for her scribbling, er, artwork; Greg actually takes our trash to the dumpsters at his work, so we, um, don't even pay for a service. shh; energy-efficient light bulbs; cheap phone plan that doesn't even include text messages - tons of rollover; definitely big on leftovers; we also bought dish rags once we had kids for clean ups and we buy the "pick-a-size" paper towels (even though they are more expensive) becuase it's nice to have smaller options sometimes and I use the Viva ones because they are so soft and sturdy; I'm fortunate enough not to have to fill up my car very often either; more gift bags and tissue paper than one should ever need in a lifetime (or have to store, but hey)

I'm intrigued by your chemical concoctions!

I don't like waiting on the water to heat up. . and have wondered what to do in the meantime, but I'm not sure I'm to "bucket collection" status quite yet.

also: I cram the dishwasher or washing machine full before running; using the fish water on the plants - very clever! But we have a salt water tank, so I'm thinking that would be counterproductive. But, we take glasses of water up to bed everyone and I use whatever is left over every morning to water the plants rather than just pouring it out; I have a tile in the kitchen that you can use dry erase markers on to write or leaves notes (rather than on paper) or I use the dry erase markers on the mirror in the bathroom to leave myself or Greg notes/reminders; we're big on turning lights out when you leave a room, too; it may be a little gross, but we don't always flush the toilet everytime

So good job! Keep it up and keep us posted on other great ideas.

Anonymous said...

In light of this list, I thought you might like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-refill-a-disposable-Brita-brand-water-pit/

Very cool stuff you guys are doing, btw.