Monday, December 31, 2007

resolve

And I'm not talking about carpet cleaner, although my mom says we can keep their carpet cleaner, which we borrow periodically to clean our one carpet that is a magnet for dog-hair-and-whatever, since they hardly have any carpets left to clean anymore. (It's all becoming hardwood.) Although, maybe that should be a resolution. All right. Here we go.

In the year 2008, I, pen, resolve to:

1. Make sure we clean the carpet more, using above-referenced carpet cleaner.

2. Loll about in the already-green pasture, i.e. ENJOY what we ALREADY have. I ruminated a bit on this idea previously, and I'm driven to really keep with it. Like, instead of buying any new movies this year, even if they're only $5.50, like at Target, or pre-viewed on Netflix, I should watch we already have. Because we have quite a collection and do not need more. Oh, and kids, we don't need anymore kids right now, for pete's sake. And when shopping, when "needing" anything new, I want to think through carefully and asess whether a) we really need it, b) we need it now or can we wait and ask for it for birthday/Christmas, or c) if we could just plain do without. Or maybe there's something we already have that's similar, or maybe we have the materials needed to make it. Or whatever. That sort of mindset, to back off from excess and waste, and move toward conservation, inventiveness, etc, is what I'm talking. And let's be honest, all this geeky, socially responsible, yawn-inducing talk is really all about:

3. Decreasing the debt. I want to end the year 2008 with LESS DEBT than 2007. I don't want more debt, I don't want the same amount of debt, I want LESS DEBT. Even if it's by a dollar. The high-interest mess gets tackled first. I want to do what it takes, in all the ways that I plausibly can.

4. Have a big yard sale. Not just for the money to go toward Resolution 3, because you can never really expect to make a whole lot--they're a total crapshoot, dependent on so many cosmic factors. But we just have a lot of clothes and VHS tapes and vacuum cleaners and other stuff we're simply done with that is all piling up in a designated Yard Sale Heap. It's in the corner of the guest bedroom, it's becoming quite the mountain, and I can't wait to see it gone. The air will be so much more lovely to breathe after crawling out from under that pile of bricks.

Lastly, I resolve to:
5. Revisit this post at year's end and blog about whether I actually pulled off these resolutions.
Oh, and on that note! Looking back at last year's Eve, where I pondered the notion of how one brings in the New Year: I ended that post imagining/hoping/predicting that 2007 would be "quiet and yet magical, filled with family and low-key good vibes" based on our evening of Harry Potter, one bottle of champagne, chicken parm, and a K.Lo. Did that come true? I don't know that I would call it low-key or quiet. In some ways it was. It was definitely filled with family and many good vibes. So let me not antagonize fate and sloppily approach the Eve of 2008. This year, I am spending New Year's Eve:
showered and flossed (very important)
marathoning Season 3 of The Office
playing Magnetix after K.Lo goes to bed
hoping to hell K.Lo actually goes to bed
drinking just a little rum and Coke
and...dinner.
I don't know what to do about dinner. We have no available, non-interest-based fundage sources to purchase a fun, festive holiday dinner, such as Chinese food. Or 7-layer burritos from Costco. We have some materials on hand. And I suppose, looking at Resolutions 2 and 3 that I need to work with it. Or do I save that for tomorrow. Gah. Frozen fish patties it is? Bleh. Must summon creative forces.
Happy New Year, everyone! Good luck with all your own resolutions, and enjoy the day.

6 comments:

mendacious said...

HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU. i will support you with your fishsticks though it pains me... bcs i want you to complete your resolutions too.

penelope said...

I've managed to come up with stir fry, a less depressing option. Thank you for your support!

erin j said...

You totally need to check out pass your plate! one it saves you money and two you never have to worry about frozen fish for dinner! We are having cranberry stuffed pork tenderloin with sweet potato cass, and a corn cass that are all three too die for! (as i'm writing this elijah is stuffing a train down the fron t of my shirt...lovely!)
as for the money thing! you can do it! practice the 24 hour rule...if you see something you want, walk away, if 24 hours later you still feel you NEED it, then you can have it...maybe... hehehehe...
i will be in bed by 10 tonight... have fun playing games and drink a little rum and coke for me...sigh... good ol' rum and coke...

Anonymous said...

Totally doable goals. I'm trying not to get more stuff I don't really need, and I want to get rid of a bunch of stuff. Too much stuff.

The stir fry is a much better option.

Cue said...

Happy New Year!!! And I totally understand the debt thing. That's one of my resolutions, too: decreasing debt, and ideally eradicating credit card debt altogether. (Which, if I keep working like a crazy mofo, I think I can do by June.) But you know what? I'm with you. When I blog tomorrow, I will link to this and resolve to revisit the resolution post next December. We'll see if I'm a debt-decreasing exercising vegan then! (HA.)

ashley said...

A very noble and worthy list. Which somehow makes me think of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black. I digress. Good luck with your resolutions and HAPPY NEW YEAR!