Monday, March 24, 2008

do-gooding and the peace of mind it brings

I'm old now and clearly have no idea how to properly spend a gift card. I bought mostly groceries with mine, is that bad? It's just that money's a little tight right now, and I reasoned that a little less pressure on our bank account would be a good happy birthday present. A nerdy present, but a present nonetheless. I won't share my grocery list, but I thought for a moment I could indulge in a little daydream fantasy about the things I considered buying instead.

Waitress on DVD
some wacky t-shirts
underwear (also slightly nerdy)
a purse
another big CD album because I like to organize (okay, that's really not much better, is it)
Sydney White on DVD
a dress to wear to N.Lo's Baptism
some music (unspecified, couldn't really think of anything)
socks?

Hmmm. This really isn't much a daydream, is it. Seriously, that's about all I could come up with. And while virtual shopping in my mind was kind of another gift in and of itself, I have to say, the groceries were totally worth it. I felt good about it afterward. Very Responsible, and a little Less Neurotic. It's like the best gift money could buy.

5 comments:

mendacious said...

well i don't see why you're not sharing your grocery list with us. yeesh. when is n.lo's baptism.

penelope said...

april 20th is the baptism.

do you really want to know the grocery list, or...

mendacious said...

well you know how i feel about lists.

Anonymous said...

My Target gift cart from Christmas (I got two and spent the first on similarly unexciting things) is going to stuff like toothpaste, shampoo, and maybe a new shirt...depending on this season's colors. Are they good, or ugly again?

ashley said...

I'm impressed, Pen. I don't know that I could've passed up Waitress and Sydney White (which I still haven't seen!) for peace of mind. ;) But I'm glad that you feel good about it and not resentful. It sounds like you've hopped a train to Grownupville.