Wednesday, March 5, 2008

first 100% of the day!

Maybe I'm an overachieving biz-natch, but I was like, soooo proud and gloaty the other day at the DMV for getting a 100% on the traffic sign recognition test!* Weeeee. The first 100% of the day, and let me tell you, there were a lot of people there. Like everyone on this side of ILM has nothing better to do at 10:00 in the morning but go renew their licenses or whatever at the DMV, seventh circle of hell that it is. Totally thought of Reaper.

But back to my 100%. (100%! First of the day!) I felt like I was back in school again, studying up, performing, and acing it. Yowza. The good old days, when studying yielded positive results, when A+B action=C result. Back when I knew what I was doing. Back when I was considered smart and capable and all of that. Proficient, even. It's nothing like my current job. You know, the parenting one.

P.S. Does this picture even look like me? I know not. But my hair looks cute, so sure, whatever. It will do for the next 8 years.

*Whenever you go to renew your license here in this state, they make you take this really dumb-ass traffic sign recognition test, where the answers are either so obvious you get confused, i.e. do you just read the writing if the sign they show has words? Is this a literacy test? or so ridiculous, i.e. a BLANK sign that you're supposed to recognize just by the color and shape, that you're again a deer in headlights. What do they mean? Are there blank signs on the road? What--why are they asking me this question? I'm telling you, it doesn't make any sense. If you don't believe me, just think about what you would say when faced with a blank yellow triangle that points to the right. Five seconds, GO!

8 comments:

mendacious said...

you are totally an over-achieving biznatch. i could, if we were not friends, picture you doing the sideglance eye roll manuever. but look-- to square things I will totally write about being a closet over-achiever and you can talk about being a hack;) at parenting- and we'll be evensteven. no seriously, write after i post about the weekend. sharpen the pencil.

Anonymous said...

omg...i GUESS.

mendacious said...

oh and it totally doesn't look like you.

erin j said...

my last pic on my license...was after a leep deprived night from a 2 month old...super sigh.. not pretty... yours looks great!! good for you for acing the test. it is the most inane thing that i've ever taken...seriously? this is all people have to know to be premitted to continue driving...no wonder we have such a high accident rate...sigh

Anonymous said...

So.
I've thought for five seconds... yellow triangle... and the answer is?

penelope said...

No passing!

Cue said...

...Yeah. I almost failed that very test when I first moved out that way. Took it cold, of course, and was completely perplexed by some of it for exactly the reasons you mention. "Is this a trick question?" Good license picture, though! Mine is hideous. Two more years to new photo...

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I can sleep now.

.