Thursday, March 27, 2008

observation

Okay, I'm not by any means suggesting that I am a perfect driver, but for fuck's sake, people. When you're backing up, do you even look? Just because you're in a handicap spot doesn't mean there's not going to be someone behind you. In fact, in a parking lot, chances are high that someone will be behind you.

This morning I'm at Costco, and as I finish up loading the car, I notice two ladies getting into their car in the next row over. That's right, I noticed. Because I tend to do that. I'm also not suggesting that I am oblivion-free, but shit. Being me, I'm already thinking ahead, and planning to let them go first, since they're already in their car, and I'm not in a hurry, and I can take a few moments and let them back out/get out of the way first. I wait, and they're not moving, their reverse lights aren't even on, so I think, "Oh, they're probably waiting for me, because my reverse lights are on." So I back out. And clearly they didn't even notice me, period, much less think ahead, much LESS follow basic fucking traffic protocol and LOOK BEHIND THEM before pulling out. Just as I'm practically bumper to bumper with them and about to pull the car into drive, Jackhole starts backing out, and keeps going! There's no time or room for me to get out of the way, so I'm left to honk my horn wildly and try not to swear too loud in front of the children.

How can you not even fucking look in your rear-view mirror? There are people and carts and cars and kids in parking lots! What a fucking jackhole. She's backing up, and I'm already in my mind's eye seeing us standing outside our cars, surveying the damage and exchanging insurance information. And me trying not to fucking punch the jackhole's lights out. LUCKILY, she stops in time, doesn't hit me, but by a fucking hair. Sometimes, I really hate people.

10 comments:

mendacious said...

blooger ate my comment! bastards.

hello oblivion hello! i hope you honked your horn. there was more but fuck it. painting was probably therapeutic though.

Andria said...

whoa. glad you have the blog to vent to - seems to have you a *tad* worked up. Not that it's not warranted - clueless, ignorant and RUDE people are super annoying. Have some common courtesy and just be aware, is that really too much to ask?!!

erin j said...

Sigh... stupid people... that, I could write a book on. I get annoyed too. I am constatnly watching stupid people in parking lots. I fear for my life trying to cross the main thrufare to get to my car with my kid and groceries, not to mention myself, intact. I'm glad she didn't hit you. Though, if she had, I would have testified on your behalf in a court of law for how she got the black eye!

Anonymous said...

Pen,
Such language...(quite understandable of course) I thought you were M at first. wow.
You two may have been friends too long. No harm, no foul, ...i'm just sayin'

God does surely protect the fools.

penelope said...

m's always getting after me for the apologetic-ness i inject into rants. i decided to go balls out on this one.

mendacious said...

i am SO PROUD!

Anonymous said...

Jackhole?

Kurt said...

Ugh. I don't understand a lot of the things people do in their cars (driving-wise). Do you remember when people used to wait while you parallel parked? Those days are long gone. Now they pull around you, effectively stopping you from backing in because you would hit them as your car swings out into the street.

penelope said...

Jackhole: consult urbandictionary.

~sarah said...

kurt you are SO right! that happens in l.a. all the freaking time. so annoying. and most of the time they zoom around me only to have to stop at the stop sign two feet away... people are stupid.

i've been on the other side of the backing up problem. at trader joe's it's super crowded. but like a good driver i wait and look and wait wait wait. but it never fails. as soon as no one is behind me and i start backing out, some jackhole on their cell phone WALKS RIGHT BEHIND ME. like, hello, large metal object on wheels moving in front of you. maybe don't walk right behind it and expect it to magically stop on a dime and not kill you. i mean, if i was YOUR back-up jackhole lady, pen, about 30 people would be dead right now. literally.