Friday, November 9, 2007

who me

though penelope is in transitional hell at the moment, there is a primary reason why she's my BFF. i never made her take a blood oath and i sort of donned the title on her without asking. i just recklessly carried her away in my heart one day as the interpreter of a world not at all like my own... she is my inner imagined other.

this buzzing in my ear was bothering me, so i took pains to write it down. note how it sounded and asked her to translate it for me. i said, why penelope, does this bother me so? what is it that makes me bugged, annoyed and waspish. she said, "well the condition you're describing is sincerity." i said, is that what makes me sickish and scrunch up my nose. slightly ill and tilting toward the exit? "yes," she said. but why i want to know! i wonder if it's because sincerity lacks selfawarness? i went to the internet for answers but just came up with opposite words like cynical and psychopath. and when i look at definitions i tend toward sincerity but do i express myself as such. why would honest expressions like "I love you. I'm sorry. Feel Better. I hope you get thru this difficult time." make my blood curl when read without context. It's like all those people in a room hearing something that is suppose to be moving, and going awwww that's so .... and i turn and look around and think are you kidding me?! but really the more apt word is Sentimentality. or perhaps such words become cliched and hallowed so i can't help but read them with that dead language wideeyed stare that a word, words- so widely used are stamped out of meaning- which is why showing not telling is always a better way to begin a story. but maybe it's that thing in the south- where people seem genuinely concerned for your well-being that i don't recognize it as true being where i am. ... or maybe why snark and sarcasm are more comfortable places to be for me. either way, i know, it is something i don't understand.


5 comments:

penelope said...

is the opposite of sincerity really psychopath? i'm just going to pretend that it is, because it makes me smile.

Cue said...

"why showing not telling is always a better way to begin a story..."

Yes. And in life, I'm far more comfortable when people show me how they feel, rather than tell. I mean, the people I interact with -- e-mails and writing from friends afar are a different story.

And if you're really going to SF, prepare to fall in love. Or maybe that's just me. ;)

mendacious said...

i want to fall in love que! bcs the last time i went 8 years ago it was just so UGH. so i'm hoping this time will be different!

Daniel Bruckner said...

Forget falling in love, if you're going to SF, why don't you take a towel to clean off an oil-slicked bird.

As far as this post, screw people from the South. They're nothing but trouble, so who cares how sympathetic they are. Toothless hillbillies.

Kurt said...

Who's going to SF? I love SF.