Friday, November 2, 2007

the score

Bug: 1
Us: zero


This week, J.Lo and I have been engaged in a full-fledged Sleep War with K.Lo. Today, I am somewhat disheartened, demoralized, embarassed (and yet slightly relieved) to report that, for now anyway, we have lost. We are waving the white flag, we the Browbeaten, Failed Parental Camp. Bug, if you wake up screaming bloody murder in the middle of the night, just crawl into our bed. It's fine. Dear lord, it is fine. There are bigger problems in life.


Seriously, though, K.Lo was born not liking sleep, which I find utterly illogical. I understand there are Things to Do, People to See while awake, but everyone needs to rest their bodies at night. Maybe *this time*, the problem also stems from some separation anxiety brought on by Baby N.Lo. Probably it was a stupid idea to wage this war now. Hell, I don't know. I just know that putting up a stolid, resolute front in Leading Her Back to Bed isn't working out for us so much right now. Maybe when she's a little older and understands better. Maybe when she's old enough to be bribed. Maybe when her brother moves into her room at night, she won't be lonely, and/or we can make it an Enticing Event. For now, though, we need sleep. All of us. And no more meltdowns. Any of us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just think, you could be the next family on one of those reality shows. Although I'd go for the ABC version rather than Fox. From the (few) bits I've seen, the ABC nanny seems more hugable.

Love the new design, especially the map.

penelope said...

totally we need to go on supernanny. sigh.

Cue said...

This is the one thing (well, the biggest thing) about having real live kids of my own that I can't wrap my head around: the sleep issues.

I swear, when I've done the overnight nanny thing, that's what does me in. The, "Why the fuck are you awake at 5am???" And they wake up all fired up and ready for fun. Which I just really... I mean, how? At that hour? Without coffee??? I don't understand.

ashley said...

Hey, I say do what you gotta do. Sanity is crucial.

Andria said...

totally. do NOT beat yourself up over this seeming defeat. You all need your rest; no shame in doing whatever it takes to make that happen. My mom has been telling me how resting was the most important thing I can be doing now to make sure I recover and have coping skills! It's something I do for all of us when I make sure I'm rested enough to be able to handle everything!
I think it's part of the whole transition with the new baby. Dellaina has been really clingy with Greg & I and she'll just randomly call out, "mama" or "daddy" while she's playing, just to make sure we're still around and involved with her.
I'm sure by the time she's in college, Bug will want her own bed, so no worries! ;)