Monday, November 19, 2007

My Long Walk

i didn't gauge the distance right and had to walk a lot further to see it than i intended. it wasn't on the 'top 10' but it was a memory i had reaching back to every summer visit to my great-grandmothers victorian house. she had a rendering of the 'palace of fine arts' above her small black and white tv and before i knew it was in san francisco, i knew it as a mysterious hazy red pantheon, with a dome, that beckoned time and grandeur, made me think of traveling and all that i yearned for made tangible in so small a thing hung on the wall. i sat on the floor watching tv when i was little on the wood floor and more often when i was bored and beating a retreat i returned to it and gazed upon it. i don't remember the conclusions i drew but the impression is burnt in my mind and everytime i see it, i play it back in my mind and it tells me with a singed heart- go. and i finally did. and no matter what panic made me hurry my steps to reach the ferry in time or the 3 buses i took back and my knees throbbing at the symphony it made the whole trip worthit and the rest nothing but chocolate and cherries. because i arrived at where my mind had always wandered and it found a familiar place to rest.

10 comments:

hannah said...

beautiful pics.

although, you should know that we are sort of stalkerish on this blog, bc the kids always want to see the pics of the babies. and now swans? they just stare at them and go, Oooooh. they're trying to convince me to go take one from the pond by the mall so we could keep in the bathroom and sometimes look at it.

penelope said...

lovely post...
the colors, though, i don't know. they're bumming me out.

mendacious said...

swans will eat children! do NOT do it! pen we can change it:D but the mulberry was insulting my photographs... after a couple more SF posts i'll be done with it ; )

Anonymous said...

man, these pics are making me miss sf a lot right now. did you check out the exploratotium? go into the tactile dome? or whatever that place is called? its nutty.

penelope said...

well all right, i do agree that gray complements the photos quite well. but maybe a brown? with some touches of teal? i mean i know you could also be channeling alcatraz with the prison motif, but...

mendacious said...

well that's what i'm saying pen! my alcatraz photos are next!

daisy said...

In high school, I got a little tipsy and swam in that pond in the middle of the night. Which is even grosser than it looks. Despite the swans. I wanted to admit this during lunch, but was scared you'd judge me forever. So instead I just told you about the keg parties we had at the Palace. Can you blame me, really? :)

ashley said...

Lovely post. Great blog. Love the build up and reveal! Aha! She made it!

Kurt said...

I love POFA

Andria said...

I think the orange really highlights your pics -- the grey did make things seem so depressing. Now, they really have some life/vibrancy and are enhanced. Plus, it's festive for the holiday and all.