Wednesday, November 21, 2007

three

Yesterday was mine and J.Lo's Third Anniversary, yowza! Incidentally, this time of year also marks three years since the last time I saw mendacious. Crazy. But on the marriage front, it was a lovely celebration. The third anniversary gift exchange material is either crystal or leather, and as J.Lo had been hinting for months about a watch, I chose this for my gift. Black leather band, atomic, and looks sharp. Except that it's still not here. Where it is, I don't know, as it is shipping from Virginia, and one would not think that it would take more than 5 days to make it over the state line, but alas. It's sad. I feel like I dropped the ball, because while it's certainly not All About the Presents, I love giving gifts, and J.Lo had his gift for me, and the only reason why mine is late is because of a convoluted snafu involving online ordering, not because I wasn't thinking well in advance about what to get.


J.Lo, on the other hand, brought home flowers, a card, a bottle of Fat Bastard chardonnay, and a pair of super Bad-Ass shoes. OMG. Doc Martens! I have only owned one other pair of Doc Martens in my life, and they were damaged. I bought them in a bargain bin somewhere in London, which ups their stock, but on the minus, they dug into my heels and formed quarter-sized blisters every time I wore them, making me want to cry. I mean, fashion can = pain, but please. These are much cooler, both in look and feel. And, no one has ever bought me shoes before, for a gift. Somehow, it's all very remarkable to me.

I seem to have a penchant for making Sweeping Life Changes in short periods of time; thinking about where I was three, and even four and five years ago, it completely blows my mind how different it all is now. But I can honestly say that out of my whole life, these past three years have been the best. In spite of a really fucking fucked-up motherfucker of a job (that's for you, t.) in there at VZW, in spite of the horrid morning sickness--hell, in spite of the fact that literally, I have been pregnant for half of our marriage (let that trend NOT continue, please, thanks), at the end of the day, I have the privilege of being married to my best friend. And we still make each other laugh.

And if we can't make each other laugh, then there's these two, better than any gifts you could ever find in leather (3), cotton (2), or paper (1).
Anyway, before I completely kill mendacious with all this sincerity, let me say that while I know nothing lasts forever, I would be okay with this kind of life lasting almost that long.
I know. Fucking vomit, right!

7 comments:

mendacious said...

sigh. it's gold baby it's gold.

Cue said...

Congratulations!! ...And, I SO know what you mean about making sweeping life changes; about how different a life can look in a year or two. I was reminding my sister of this, this week, when she was complaining about how Thanksgiving would be the same with all of that tension and stuff. I said to her, But we're not the same people we were a year ago. It's just that, we forget. We look at the individual and forget that we're all evolving, all the time. ...Anyway. All of that to say, I get it!! And, am very happy for you and where life has taken you. Looks golden to me, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

And cute new shoes!

ashley said...

Those shoes seem very Penelope-ish to me. Well done, J.Lo. Three years, two babies, one beautiful story. *tear*

Ahem...congratulations. :)

T. said...

Fucking congrats :)

hannah said...

fucking congratulations from me too!

drinks are on me next meeting... which is when again? :)

erin j said...

Congrats...half the marriage knocked up...man if that's not love i don't know what is...but you have some pretty dang cute kids...