Monday, November 26, 2007

amendment?

It seems to me that I've posted before, maybe even twice before? about crying over the spilled milk and how literally and figuratively, there is no use. Just like the adage says. I'm too tired to look for these old posts and link them here. I'm so tired I could maybe cry, which leads me to the question of whether there is an amendment to the adage that says it is reasonable to cry over spilled milk when that milk is not quite spilled, but spit up in copious amounts from your tiny little baby.

Is there?

I'm so kind of bone-tired today, I'm not actually sure how much I slept last night. The kid ate and ate and ate and every time returned it all to sender, leaving us to not-sleep in a veritable lake. In two different beds. And a couch. This is all surely TMI and is grossing me out to even think about it. But honestly. I think I may have to do yet another load of laundry today to recover all the burp cloths. N.Lo is often a Geyser Child, but this is ridiculous. And then he cries like he's starving which, considering the circumstances, I imagine he is.

Also, K.Lo is in my favorite mood of hers, the one where she's sort of in a good mood, at certain moments, but really she's tired from not sleeping well all weekend, and is therefore just plain insolent. Like you know she's going to soak all the dish towels in the dog water. And strew N.Lo's (clean) diapers everywhere. Twice. Pull the little tiny hairs on N.Lo's head with fingers that sizzle with insolent energy. Stand on the stereo speaker. Ask for things she knows she can't have and dissolve into a whiny, wailing puddle when denied. And touch my keyboard while I'm typing, totally in that "I'm not touching it! Mwahahaha" but-really-almost-touching-it way, which drives me batty. And all the while I can see in her body language that she knows what she's doing is annoying, that she hears the word "no," and while on another more well-rested and charming day would choose to listen, today: not so much.

To add aesthetic insult to injury, the baby is balding and has a full-blown case of baby acne. The latter of which is probably not helped by all the spit up. Everywhere. He is, obviously, still beautiful, but geez.

I'm going to put on a raincoat.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there's definitely a difference between spilled and spewed milk. At least if the crying stuffs up your nose it won't smell like spit up milk...so there's one use.

Hope it gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

Augh!

ashley said...

Poor Pen! I think it is kosher to cry over milk spit up unceremoniously in your bed. I would cry - not that that's any indication of what a reasonable human being would do, but...seriously, let it out. You deserve it. I'll buy you an Icee this weekend, 'kay?

Cue said...

Oh, dude. I'm so sorry. :( Sending happy, tarp-filled thoughts your way...

erin j said...

Oh sweetie! I'm so sorry! Elijah was a spit-ipper too... I don't look forward to those days all over again... Are they 18 yet and able to go throw up after drinking too much beer at a party and we not have to know about it/clean it up? sigh... It will get better... I promise. At least the weather is warm again and the toddeling one can go out and run... call if you need anything (even a bath...)

Kim said...

I don't know whether to feel super bad about this, or congratulate you on what might be the greatest blog post EVER!

Andria said...

I'm sorry you're drowning in it! I have had a few direct showers from Wyatt myself. It is so disturbing to feed and then watch it come up again and then be demanded to feed again! Hang in there, it must get better, right?