Friday, December 9, 2005

Worst. Made. EVER.


Did anyone see "Made" this week on MTV with Nadia? It was like, the most poorly pieced-together "Made" I've ever seen. I sort of love that show, even though a lot of times it makes me cringe watching geeky white boys trying to become rappers, or lacrosse players trying to become salsa dancers, or band geeks and softball chicks trying to become cheerleaders. I can relate to the inner geek in a lot of these kids, and even though a lot of them "don't make the dance squad" or whatever else it is, they usually grow from the experience, and that's cool. Whatever. It's not the best show in the world, but it makes me feel all bright and shiny inside.

Anyway, the thing with Nadia is that the editing plain sucked. This girl was super-super shy, always hiding in the back and giggling to cover up the fact that she was massively insecure, but she actually did have this amazing singing voice. She wanted to enter and win her high school's annual singing competition, which is called "Central Idol." And she did make it into the show, which only takes like, 10 people, and she did sing "Lady Marmalade" in front of masses and masses of people, complete with a semi-hooch outfit. So she grew, ending up with way more confidence in herself than the beginning.

But did she win the contest? We don't know. How did she place? They didn't say. How did she actually do in front of the audience--not clear. They showed like these tiny bits and pieces of the performance, but it was extremely hard to get a handle on whether she actually rocked it or not. It seems like she did...but we don't really know. They didn't show too much of her singing throughout the show, and I just figured it was because she was practicing that one song, and they were saving it all for the end to blow away the viewing audience with her progress. But no. And what did her parents think? We don't know. They showed an Asian couple for about 1 millisecond sitting stoically in the auditorium audience during Nadia's song, but we don't actually know if these were her parents. And I can understand they may just not want to have been part of the episode--I cannot imagine my own parents (well, much less me) agreeing to appear on reality TV. That's fine, but why all the other cutting? Why not even say whether she won or not? No payoff, man. It would be like reading any "Harry Potter," but having JK clip out the final confrontation with Voldemort and cut to Harry boarding the Hogwarts Express for the summer. (Actually, I just gave "Made" way too much credit there, bringing in Harry. I should have been appropriately vapid in my comparison-drawing.)

3 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

I for one didn't see "Made" this week on MTV with Nadia.

mendacious said...

i totally "heart" made. so awesome. i did see the last half of this ep. saw the stoic parents, and wondered the same thing- um, are those her parents? and those pink puffs on the outfit are so annoying. they couldve done way better. and gary, you should see it. bcs we all wanna be "made".

Anonymous said...

I certainly want to be Made. I only saw the beginning of the episode last night because I was too emotionally drained from the climax of Diddy announcing the final five for Making the Band 3 that I couldn't get into poor Nadia's tale. I'm totally glad that Aubrey and Aundrea are going to be friends 2-gether 4-ever in the band.