Saturday, December 10, 2005

My MAC guy

For a beginning to this story see: Wednesday, November 09, 2005
"Failing" ...

(So) it's been a tumultuous affair with my mac guy. His name is Arin. We've tried a few times to get together- lots of calls and even a stop by but it hasn't worked out. He could never get to where i was and I guess we almost broke up bcs let's face it, long-distance relationships take actual effort. I'm sort of wary of anyone who says 'out of sight, out of mind' in regards to bank statements let alone friends- that certainly doesn't bode well does it? For how long you'll last.

Yesterday, as my boss continues to pester me about the dead Mac, that only boots up in DOS mode. Which i think is sort of cool and old school... B asked why I was leaving it at work, and i was like uh, why do i want mac guy to come to my house, and as B is paranoid he said, well I don't want mac guy to come to my house- so you see, I said,why it's good he's coming here. Yes, he said. I emailed Mac Guy and said, hey...We still want you to fix our Mac. Can you do it? Arin, emailed me back and said, yes i can. And my offer to fix it for $0 still stands.

Be still my beating heart. Why is Arin trying to kill us with kindness. Is he giving us a crappy harddrive- is it used? installed with spyware? Why, why is he offering to do this for FREE. There must be a reason. I suspect, as I do with most tech guys... that he's sort of manic and feels like a failure for being such a flake and is trying to be upstanding, especially as he's trying to start a consulting business. I once was friends with a tech-wizard and he would go buy supplies for my computer just because he wanted it to work correctly. I miss my tech guy. We should all have one in our life- but tech guys are volitle- as it is with hyper-smart people. It's a delicate balance btw doing the right thing bcs you can, and by god you're certainly smart enough, and then consequently spreading yourself too thin and feeling grieviously taken advantage of. It's like accept the free help but make them feel appreciated. Balance. Balance. Balance. So you don't end up not talking over name calling and game playing or something lame and equally juvenile, that makes you think if you'd only take your fucking meds everything would be alright. but no he doesn't and continues to go up and down and his ego is holding on by a tenuous thread bcs whatever confidence he had in his worth as a human being was crushed somewhere in 7th grade and you just CAN'T STAND to see people this way. so you just CAN'T TAKE IT and that's why tech guy isn't in your life anymore.

So yesterday Mac Guy came and picked up the computer from my boss. Who didn't even bother to text me and tell me. But anyway- I told Mac Guy that he should at least be paid for the harddrive if nothing else, so please reconsider I said. And B is equally suspicious anywayz, with the original fix price of $200- as he's used to dropping cash on issues, and not suicidally panicking- so why not get paid for it, he thought it was "too cheap" to begin with. In fact people tend to be wary of "too good to be true" and the bargains you find that make you giddy as you run down the street with your precious treasure clutched in your hands. Something must be wrong with it. Because no one in life is this good or generous without an evil reason.

Ah Mac Guy. We'll see if he fixes the computer and brings it back. Till next time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm suspicious too.

Anonymous said...

Suppose he's a would be angel and all he needs to do is one good deed?

Anonymous said...

i must admit that i am rather attracted to our tech guy. he's an aussie and is very manly and good-looking but still has that cute puppy-dog thing going on. he always smells like soap. and is very helpful. he wants to be an actor though, so, he probably isn't good dating material. too bad... i'll just have to admire him while he fixes my computer...

Anonymous said...

But at least he has a lucrative day-job until he gets his big acting break...