Sunday, December 4, 2005

Save Ferris

(i never got to take the bus.)

i was also contemplating adding my perspective on highschool, which is radically different from Pen's, due to location, type of school, and obvious personality issues. Hey Pen? would we have been friends in high school? I have to know your opinion. My answer is yes, but not close friends. I don't think I had any better fashion sense, but alas that was the 80's and my mom refused to get me things that would marry me solidly into that generation- like perms or feathered hair. I do remember one girl saying, I don't like that color eyeshadow on you- which okay, but i was like? why are you telling me this...I think her name was Barbara. and this memory is oddly tied into my question of where to sit in the vast outdoor eating area we had at school. i would float around but never quite fit in anywhere. Into highschool i hung out with drama kids, which were a motley assortment of the popular and studious to the studious and socially strained. But as a hinge I was also in Volleyball and did AP English and conversely had the rest of my classes with the social non-studious misfits, who were also the popular people (bcs I secretly believe that I was classified as unintelligent in primary school and was navigated into these sorts of classes in my k-12 school) and bcs of even stranger circumstances like my counselor forcing me to take accounting and business principles in 9th grade i was also friends with upper classmen. Really, I had by circumstance navigated myself into having the most diverse experience imaginable. And though I'm sure my weight and general militant attitude caused other things I was fairly untouchable- and was not even mock worthy for hanging out with the English Teacher during lunch and reading morose poetry, Or at least I never heard about it. Plus by sheer will I had a way of looking at people that defines judgement and words like conviction, not entirely pleasant and couple that with my wry smile and i know people thought i smoked, and drank vodka during the day and was a general troublemaker that knew what other troublemakers were doing... I think I'll definitely have to write about the weirdness and pain of highschool someday. Part of me thinks I'm making this up and that silver lining was being painted on by me from the beginning but... I had a good time, but converesely I didn't. But critically I was myself and didn't ever work hard to fit in anywhere, and I spent entirely too much time watching people and Tv. And well, 2 things I never got to do was, go to a boarding school, and go away to camp for the entire summer. Alas. For another blog. Another day. I've got to figure out what's for dinner.

(Ferris : It's not that I condone facism, or any isms for that matter. Isms in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an ism he should believe in himself.)

3 comments:

penelope said...

We at least would have been friendly acquaintances, if we had been at my high school together. The drama circle and the band circle overlapped a lot of times, and then we would have had AP English together. Of course you would have been a year ahead of me, right? Dammit. Because I would have loved to have you in my AP English class--someone to help me secretly make fun of everyone. The jokes are no fun if they're all in your head.

mendacious said...

oh yah, i would've totally been there for you for that. i think then that we would've hung out a few times, always having a good time, fond memories and what not, then lost touch and in a freakish turn of events reunited in grad school- where we forgot how much we liked each other but then after you left to greener less expensive pastures, we decided we rocked together and our verbage and witticisms passed into history with accolades and some hearty gauffaws. plus we got together at lunch and gossiped about everyone. i was much better friends with the '95 crowd than my own.

Anonymous said...

in h.s. i was in all the AP/Honors dealies too. AP English was a fav. i was what my friends and i referred to as a "tweener" - meaning, we moved freely between most peer groups: brains, artsy folk, skaters, punks, some jocks, some preps (due to desk proximity in class). one of my best friends was a skater and fellow AP-er. we always sat together in classes and had to prove that we were not trouble-makers. teach judged him by his skaterness and me by association and maybe by my oh-so cool flannel shirts and black chucks. snarky comments may have also played a role, but they were funny and we often made her laugh too. inevitably, we became her favs. i mean, when you reinact the axe scene from Crime and Punishment with such passion and a guy in a skirt, well, how could she not like us the best?

FYI, My friend is now an english prof w/ a Ph.D...