Thursday, July 22, 2010

oh m,

I’ve been meaning to tell you about my new toothbrush, which keep in mind was from Costco, so there’s like 20 more in the package. It’s all “clever” with this thingy on the back of the toothbrush head that cleans (scrapes) your cheeks and tongue while you brush. Except that it feels crazy and I suspect it’s facilitating canker sores. So, thanks a bunch, Colg@te. For your “innovation.”

J.Lo and I are ready to rip up the last vestiges of first harvest and start fresh with some late summer crops. And let’s be honest, those snapdragons and marigolds are looking like hell crisped over twice and really need to be replaced. Because they are making me depressed. I wish they lasted longer because at one point brought me such happiness, but I guess that’s life for you. And the beauty of fleeting flowers and whatnot. It’s all symbolic of much deeper things, you know. Stuff that makes me weep, like children going off to kindergarten in exactly one year’s time. Really it all boils down to the lack of shade in my backyard and my hostility toward summer, which keeps me from getting out there 2x daily and wasting water on constantly dried-out soil watering.

Let’s talk about the discrepancy between my theoretical and practical selves. Is this the human condition? Although I suppose at least I bother with having a theoretical self and trying to make it a lovely one. But my practical self, the one whose actually acting in the world, tends in the moment to discard everything reasonable that my theoretical self says and behaves ridiculously. Like becoming overwhelmed and overstressed about a list of hypotheticals, to the point of quasi-raging and meltdown. It’s all very silly, you know. A waste of breath. I wish it were easier to let-go and let-god, but I guess that’s the whole point. That it’s not easy? Whatever. Why d’ya gotta make it so complicated, God? I’m just saying.

cheerily yours,

penelope

No comments: