Thursday, July 29, 2010

m,

Day 2 of Summer Cold, and another man down. Or half-pint, as the case may be. I *suppose* that I should keep him home from preschool, and I suppose he’s cute enough to be forgiven for this loss of alone- or free-time. Not that I had much planned, anyway, as Day 2 symptoms are a super-awesome sore throat and ear ache. I might head to le library to pick up my reading antidote, a book called TheParticularSadnessofLemonCake. Because I really need a third book to read simultaneously. No – I just don’t want to think in certain moments. And somehow I’m all out of back copies of US Weekly. So sad.

Have you been watching or continuing to watch Work of Art? I mean, it’s highly awesome, is all I’m saying. Although 4 out of 6 projects last night left something to be desired, which is not a good ratio. And if we’re being honest, the 5th work I didn’t really love (or maybe it’s the artist), and the 6th, well, wasn’t it just tar on canvas? I suppose it’s genius. I suppose.

And how brills is kudzu’s ode to mendelopacious?

This is all I can muster my brain to think about for the moment. Perhaps more in a bit.

pen

4 comments:

erin j said...

Work of Art...sigh. This show pisses me off on so many levels. First, art is sooooo subjective. How can you JUDGE someone on their vision. How can anyone think that a backwards wall and a wall with tar on it actually portrays man? and seriously, how is it the same level to ask one person, "have you ever punched a hole in a wall?" and then justify asking 1)"do you masturbate standing u?" and 2)"can I see you scar?" My answer to #1 would have been "none of your business perv." and the answer to #2 would have been "hell no jerk."
However, I get sucked in. I'm no artist. I do enjoy some art though. Whatever. I just get enraged with some of the comments. I didn't even stick around to see who got cut.
Oh, and seriously, grommet woman... she's just weird...

pen said...

Ha! I still can't really believe Jaclyn even did the masturbation portrait. I mean, I can, since it is Jaclyn. I just did not love it. I don't really love her character, period.

My favorites are Miles, because he's so out there, and Abdi - when he's on his game. Which he hasn't been for a few episodes now.

I don't think I've understood Nicole's art once. Someone said last night that her piece was ... rinky-dink? I think that was the word. Whatever it was, it was perfect and described most of her pieces. I think the only one I connected with of hers was the TV.

Mark (scar guy) is a pretty cool artist, so long as it's commercial-type stuff. Like that book cover he did.

And Peregrine... I can't say I get her, but sometimes her stuff is interesting? I didn't get the glitter last night. Looked like something the kids would bring home from preschool.

All I know is, Simon de Pury makes it all worthwhile. And it's my favorite when I hate or don't get something, and the judges are all... "It's brilliant!" Mwah.

Andria said...

crazy show! It is SOO subjective and I love listening to the judges come up with their own stories like they totally get and understand where the artist was coming from and what s/he was trying to portray. Simon is amusing, but he's no TimGunn. I like Miles - as a character, can't say I really like or get his pieces, and do think he's a little full of it sometimes, too and wonder if it is all an act - and Abdi, too! Not sure if you've seen this week's ep, so don't want to say too much, but I was glad to see Abdi bring it!
My favorite of Peregrine's was the foil alien antennae bow. . oh wait, that was her "hat" one week, not her art piece. cah-ray-zee.

Andria said...

and, ugh, we have the summer colds here, too. complete with icky chest coughs. I really do hate when the kids get sick in 100 degree weather, something just feels even more...off.