Wednesday, July 7, 2010

my m,

It’s Week 3 of the walk-to-run program! Do you feel the excitement? Cough. Gasp. In related news, I’m secretly terrified of a enduring a tragic (humiliating) accident on the treadmill. Don’t look at your feet!

We are back from the lake. It was magical as always. I can’t say I exactly feel more rested, particularly after the car-ride portions of the trip, because as one of the moms on Modern Family said about their family trip to Hawaii – Honey, please. It’s a business trip. But more pictures to come, and it was rad-tastic to see Andi and Ash once again. Aren’t we cute?

IMG_4755

I love this pic, but do you see my hair? WTF. It was a Bad Hair Weekend overall, but I have to say, I’m generally not so pleased with how this cut is growing out. They’re supposed to last more than a month. Chrisssssssy! I need my old hairdresser back. Maybe soon. Provided she hasn’t run for the hills after having her 3rd baby. I’m still not over that time she discussed changing careers to become a dental hygienist. Doesn’t she know I need her?

I’m still at the same place (160s) in our book. I know. Slacker. Picking up again soon cuz I was on a roll there for a minute.

Random pondering of the week: How starved is our culture for rituals? Since we’re a big ol’ melting pot of cultures, and the culture that’s evolved here is rather homogenized, consumerist, gadget-loving, just how much have we lost? I mean, rituals and roles in a very traditional culture can be somewhat stifling if one isn’t a fit. But at the same time, those rituals and roles provide an anchor, a script for how to behave so one doesn’t flounder. And while a given ritual may be tedious, inefficient work, isn’t there a certain comfort in them? Or is that a completely bourgeois perspective, wanting to return to older, simpler ways because of “comfort,” when the old way of doing things came to be out of need, not desire.

I’m speaking all abstractly and non-specific, but would love to hear your abstract and not-specific thoughts.

off to walk-run-and-yoga,

pen

3 comments:

Andria said...

total awesomeness.

deep ponderings! Greg and I were just talking about the desire to grow plants and tomatoes, etc. how it goes back to his dad and grandaddy or mine and the big gardens/fields and feels comforting in it's history.
first Wednesday of the month: the tornado siren is sounding. just thought I'd share.

~sarah said...

Good ponderment, rituals. I must think on it more.

Also, radtastic! Good use. I should've trademarked it before it escaped into the general population. Go, become part of our language little word!

pen said...

S, you totally should have trademarked it! Because I didn't even remember I picked up from you, and yet you're so right, I did. Maybe it will be added to the dictionary for 2011.

A, about the garden - that's exactly what I mean. Excellent example.