Tuesday, July 27, 2010

m – so old am i,

Currently, I’m sitting on a heating pad. Because of something with my hip flexor muscle, which is searing through to my lower back, if I really think about it. And apparently this is due to having weak core muscles, which I’m shamefully aware of and totally felt in a recent bout of Pilates-like moves. And I’m sure the running doesn’t help. So I’m wearing my flat flip-flops today and staying away from le gym. Until, hopefully, tomorrow.

What do you mean, Europa?

And I’m not giving up on LA just yet. My word to ponder: Triumph!

How tragic and mean is the DirecTV universe for not only depriving me of CW, but also LifetimeTV, which I did not truly grasp the meaning of until I attempted to set up my ProRun series recording? Cruel. And Hulu, Schmulu. I mean, I really hope they show full episodes. And I’m glad for its existence, and my access. But still. It is not the same and these are not uncommon channels.

Pause for heating pad shift and enjoyment of a Hot Pocket panini.

Oh, also – I cut off the little one (the N.Lo) from being carried this morning. That’s probably what I need to do more than anything to combat my old-person hips.

Anyway, I’m mostly done with 2 out of 3 magazine articles, so that’s progress. This afternoon, maybe something about slavery and then a “children and families” committee meeting at le church.

peace out,

pen

12 comments:

~sarah said...

When I had my evaluation visit to the chiro so I could eventually partake of their yoga offerings (get an instructor already!) she told me the hip flexor is trouble for most women, especially runners, and said I needed to stretch it every day, twice a day if I could. She also something about massaging it myself, but that felt weird and I have decided that's a no.

Also, what kind of shoes do you use when you run? A lot of shoes are not designed to offset the particular issues women runners have with their hips. Check into Ryka, which are designed especially for women.

mendacious said...

totally agree with sarah. and make sure to stretch your IT band that runs the length of your outside leg. kerry RAVES about ryka. she thinks they're awesome.

also also strengthen your core, and desist in wearing archless nonsense at once!

committee mtg?
and hotpockets!

pen said...

Hmmm, very interesting, all of this. My shoes - I have to check. I know they're the best shoes I've owned for working out thus far, as I haven't had any arch issues, and that's a big indicator of problematic footwear for me. I will check out Ryka fo sho.

pen said...

hey, my flat flips have arches! i just mean flat as opposed to the platformy ones.

pen said...

reasonably priced as well, those rykas!

~sarah said...

Yes! Ryka's are quite good for the wallet as well as the feet. I would say you should go for the slightly more expensive ones though, as the cheaper lot are the "introductory" or "beginner" shoes. I bought those this time around for money-saving and, while they are still good, I think the "intermediate" shoe is better. Especially if they're your only pair and you workout/run 3 or more times a week. I did have a moment of concern when I saw Kelly Rippa endorses them, because she is super annoying, but don't blame the shoe. It has no say in the matter. Blame the marketers. : )

pen said...

totally - i was thinking about "pursuit." which still really aren't a bad price. i had that same moment of concern when seeing kelly "crack shampoo" ripa, but decided not to think about it. i trust you people. :)

Somebody's mom said...

So you inspired me to put my heating pad on my shoulder which is cranky and that reminds me to sit up straight and don't slouch. so much.
Thank you,

somebody's mom said...

The next word verifcation offered to me was spijushu, which totally should be the name of an exercise class.

pen said...

I want to take spijushu.

Ryka's on amazon. Whoa. Even better prices.

almost anonymous said...

My sis-in-law has the Vibram 5-finger ones and loves them, but then you've got to learn how to barefoot run.

pen said...

Hardcore! We've been talking a little about barefoot running on Twitter and FB. Not sure I'm ready to go there just yet.