Monday, April 7, 2008

M: At least

you two care.

TheTRAINER'S name is John. I was suppose to train with Courtney, and she called me once to confirm our training sessions, which was promptly put on my to-do lists. Meanwhile, Courtney decided to move or something so John called me and left a message then called me AGAIN. And I picked up. I swear I was not avoiding them. Anyway, John is all irksome and like, yah well Courtney left and blah blah so... we need to get you on the calendar so blah blah. And then he says, You can actually workout before we begin, or the training sessions begin- but i thought he meant like actually come to the gym and start working out and I was all- jerk. Talk about condescending and then I called Amber and was all, I think my trainer is all grr nazi condescending and she's all, um, he probably just meant warm up so that you can go in at 630 and the session can begin at 700, and I'm all OOh. But anyway both of my training sessions are on peoples birthdays because apparently I can't escape Aries in my life- bcs kerry is on the 14th and Amber is on the 15th even though they like totally hate each other. I'ts like mixing white and dark chocolate in the worst ways even though they are totally both chocolate. Then my dad's birthday is the 16th. My niece is March 26th and I can think of at least 3 other people who I know- wait 4- who have that whole hey I'm a fiery stubborn bleeting Aries, or whatever. So now I have to be all, um John I need to reschedule even though like I fully knew I would have to when he was making me write them down. I did say I was penciling them in but um yah...

So the MOVIES: Amber and Kerry are movie-holics. I just, I mean I'm more a Tv, media-holic. And I just don't care about going to the "movies" and seeing it on the big screen. . . but anyway so Amber and I coordinate Netflix rentals sometimes, besides endlessly fighting. Just because I "liked" something doesn't mean it was good. Her tastes are oddly way less discriminating but conversely specific but she fast-forwards thru movies which i cannot almost ever abide. Because I think movies aren't just plot but emotionally driven and you can't possibly get that when 1/2 of it was a blur. So this weekend included:
  • No Country For Old Men: (her choice) The 2nd viewing clarified some things about the whacked out ending but not by much. Anyway I still like it, but seriously what the hell is with that ending. The words are still all literary and amazing and the violence is still definitely UGH. Gross. But strangely this was not the only killing movie we'd see. Amber did not like it. I told her she wouldn't. And I did, for her sake, fastforward thru some of the violent scenes while stopping for the dialogue. I rated this movie 4/5 stars. Mainly some of the themes I felt could've come across stronger and I loved TommyLeeJones- but the main assertion that this is no country for old men is sort of moot when you're up against a psycho with supernatural propensities. I was like really? Is that what you're saying? Or just life in general? And aren't there healthier ways to grapple with mortality. I don't know. But maybe that's my struggle with Lee's character.
  • The MIST: (My choice) Our favorite line: "Oh don't worry. It's not my blood." Hi=larious. There were some good moments and some weak ones. It was basically an uneven movie. But lovely, how it all quickly spiraled out of control and went to shit. And Amber and I do really, really enjoy talking about what we would be doing together in that kind of situation. We'd rally the forces. She'd try to kill the religious zealot. I'd try to talk her out of it...etc. Anyway we always have those conversations, as we chat thru movies like there's no tomorrow, that: Oh hey, wouldn't it be rad if... ah, but they'd never. So THEN**SPOILER** the rational group loses their nuts too and decide to flee the store after killing the religious lady (no way!) Who by the way has no actual understanding of Jesus and sacrifice. This was a major hole in that if you're gonna make them crazy I wonder if you could make their faith more real, but maybe that's the point. Bcs it's weird that a bible-toting whack job wouldnt use the word Jesus or understand that "sacrifice" is no longer necessary, but I digress. There are some GREAT character actors in this piece who got not nearly enough screen time, but anyway, so then like DUMBASSES they take 1.no supplies- food, weapons, water except for a weakly established gun that has as we find out only 4 bullets. 2. No gas 3. No logic 4. No actual escape plan. DUMBASSES. So of course the guy takes his son to see if his wife made it. She totally did not. The old couple in the back who were at the beginning of the movie full of fucking smarts somehow lose theirs and the blonde chick who has "faith in humanity" all tag along bcs they didn't get eaten by giant insects... cuz yah it was the "govt."... not the supernatural. I think a weak point. But anyway so then the dumbasses run out of gas. And they see this giant creature and they're like oh well fuck it. GAME FUCKING OVER. And when he pulls out the gun, you're thinking no fucking way! but then, holy fuck! WHAT!!?!? He shoots them all. Our hero shoots his son, his would be love interest and the 2 smarty pants old people. Then gets out of the car waiting to be eaten. Only to see the "Mist" receding and the military doing damage control and rescuing survivors. Fucking what!? So of course he just starts shrieking. Amber and I went from 2/5 stars to 3.5/5 stars just for that fucking twisted mfo of an ending. Hence, wow! That was MIST-tastic!!
  • IRA& ABBY: (My choice) So yah, some funny moments, but ultimately and unwanted cynical view of marriage but flimsy, godless and narrow. I said "I liked it." Amber did not but I was at least trying to branch out with the movie choices.
  • THE BRAVE ONE: (her choice) So, okay. It had a slow beginning. There could've been more concrete details to the life she had vs. the life she took on, besides showing that she used to wear flowy white skirts but now wears nothing but grey tight fitting shirts and dark eyeshadow. **SPOILER** And it got a little better as it went on, and as we saw the detective begin to figure out that she was the killer of all these people- like 8/9 by the end of the movie. And that there was this mutual attraction which was almost too subtly unspoken. Like there needed to be just a bit more. But anyway so hello, you think, sure he's going to catch her and turn her in and blah blah whatever. But then at the end he helps her shoot the last guy then asks her to turn the gun on him so she can be for once free and clear of all the murders. And by the end of the movie he's being put in an ambulance and she's walking off with her dog no longer afraid of the night. WTF!>? MIST-TASTIC! That's what we're saying! So my rating went from a 3 to a 4 on that, ballsy if slightly unwarrented ending. But I like it. A twist so easy that well, um, she gets away with it. NO reprucussions. Fucking yah! MIST-TASTIC!!
  • Under the Tuscan Sun... oh geez. I can't talk about it. IT's always on cable. What's a girl to do. Even if it is mostly lame and cringe worthy.

Wow, so, I should've been doing like many other things on my todo list but you guys totally baited me. If you stayed till the end, bravo, seriously. I mean I am interesting and rad and so are my thoughts but everyone has their limits. ALright i have to go revise my todo list and get some water now that we're all out of dietcoke and what not.

Peace. M.

13 comments:

penelope said...

I LOVE Under the Tuscan Sun. I know you're shocked.

penelope said...

And you have a trainer, wha? It's all too hardcore for me.

mendacious said...

oh geez. it came with the package deal that i paid for when i resigned up- remember i got the towel, the boxes of vitamins, shakes and bars and of course the complimentary 4 training sessions. they won't leave me alone!

Kurt said...

I loved NCFOM, even with the disappointing ending.

mendacious said...

yah, i agree kurt. watching it twice reminded me!

oh and pen also, crazy- my trainer called again but to cancel! bcs he had a conflict. mwah ha ha! and he left over a 2min message!! geeeez.

Kurt said...

Here's something I have often wondered. Do you and Pen correspond re: the timing of your posts, or is it just a free-for-all here?

penelope said...

Total free-for-all!

Oh wait. I mean...

Anonymous said...

The great minds that are moving towards making it at the Ivy are of course in sync, at all times.
Kurt, how could you doubt.

hat said...

I want to see Juno. Have you seen? Would you recommend?

Anonymous said...

You really do have a way with people.

mendacious said...

Bruckner: What kind of way?

HAT: You will like JUNO>> IF, you go into it pre-hype or with low to medium expectations. I myself found Ellen Page's voice to be extremely annoying and her whole cadence and manner off putting. But I am the lone wolf among my friends. I found the story to be solid, the dialogue witty, but obviously the way in which they're treating the situation sort of has a fairytale like quality as in as much as some bad things happen,(there is some drama) I had the nagging feeling that things wouldn't ever quite work out that way, but in white suburban land maybe they do. Overall my expectations were pushing for more indie/quirk like Royal Tennenbaums/Pieces of April, the next new blah/blah/blah and it didn't quite deliver. Despite that- you'll like it. Have a few laughs and feel better, maybe, about the world and the future of relationships despite the actual events of the plot.

KURT: omg. well, pen and i differ here thats for sure. (though she is pulling me along in her way of thinking) i have always wanted more cohesiveness and sometimes love when we mirror and echo one another. usually i'm offended when she writes tv/entertainment posts after my more serious ones (i'm getting more used to it)- but then we are like one giant messy brain, and the movement of thought is just like that- she used a good analogy in that we are a comfortable hangout, poolhouse and you can pick and chose what game to play, what couch to passout on, what terrace to gaze out over- obvi we have indelible charms and are a mellow but random place to visit on some strange road you find yourself on which will leave you with the impression that these people are COOL even if sometimes they don't make sense.

Anonymous said...

pugnacious

mendacious said...

who me?!

well played bruckner. well played.