Monday, April 14, 2008

Well FINALLY, by M

Delilah Renee means: The Weak One Reborn. But then I looked at her birthday (in the birthday book) and decided she'll overcome such a sucky weird name. At least it wasn't Darcy which means the DarkOne, because that's like a whole 'nother prophecy. I'll maybe call her 'lil, or Lilah. Because I'm sick of D names... in my family alone we have David, Dave, Danny, Danny, Dennis, Donnie, Debbie- my brother met a Dawn whose brother was Drew whose parents names were Dean and Darlene. Their dogs names are also Dixie and Dakota. I hope you see what I mean when I say it's too much. It's like not funny anymore. So not funny or cute or like endearing or anything. And I can only hope my niece will be one cool hip kid- which will sort of match her name because Jesus. But at least it wasn't Deena, Dahlia or Daniella. Which were their top 3 choices.

That's my brother Dave. Which most people don't know I have because he doesn't understand what it might mean to not be oblivious, distant, self-involved and obscurely placed in Minnesota. God, love him. Because I don't know- like he doesn't think its important to see family or who knows what. I certainly haven't seen him in over 4 years. It's fairly infuriating. And it took him this long to send us pictures from the first day of her birth! That's 2 1/2 weeks. And just now he also sent us ultrasounds from 9 months ago and a pic of Dawn pregnant. 2 weeks ago he did send us a pic of the babe screaming her head off and naked and though i am pretty unrestricted I do have some sense of politeness and decorum toward others. And i can at least say to my niece i did not post that picture. Even though in a cute way my brother thinks that picture is cute and funny and totally emotionally appropriate. Anyway we've been,
waiting for this beautiful babe for over 10years. And finally! Phew. I was pretty emotionally detached all the way leading up to the birth but then when my brother called to say I was an aunt and that the baby looked like me when i was born made my heart grow 2x larger than it had been before. It was one of the nicest, and intouch things my brother has ever said to me. Because lets face it. He was a horrible brother. 6 years older and completely hostile to the fact that I was a girl, came about 5 years to late and that I got everything I wanted. And not at all protective or understanding. He's still fairly bitter. Not that we don't love each other. However that's the stuff in the corners.

But anyway, look at this little one. Maybe she will steal my heart. I can only hope so. And that maybe one day I'll get to see her and she'll obviously love her cooler than cool LA aunt who calls her nicknames and lets her paint on walls. Awwwww. maybe.

3 comments:

penelope said...

How could she NOT steal your heart! Awwww. I'm so glad you finally got some better pictures.

~sarah said...

i totally want you to be MY aunt! : )

you'll do great and she is beautiful and that is waaaaaaay too many D's. seriously.

when will you meet her in person?

ashley said...

Delilah - wow. That sounds like a mischievous little thing.

She's absolutely gorgeous. And I warn you - the nephews/nieces are totally capable of walking away with your heart, part and parcel.

Congrats, M!!