Monday, April 21, 2008

EXPELLED


Expelled Okay I don't know. Maybe the people of LA are the last to find out about this film. I have no idea. People were all, drrr mendacious, you don't know about blah blah, npr, etc... whatevs. But I just knew it was some BenStein movie 3 friends wondered if I was going to see and it happened to be about Intelligent Design. I saw him in 'most smartest model'... so i said hey why not- And I loved it. This film is definitely inflammatory- to put it mildy- if you find yourself a staunch believer of Evolution (in the sense that we can spontaneously evolve and not the kind of evolution that accounts for species variation) and would consider yourself a Darwinist. Because it attacks what that worldview actually leads to- even more inflammatory. I mean he sort of broke all the argument rules about ad hominem attacks, for instance: reductio ad Hitlerum. He definitely went THERE, but he's Jewish so whatevs. I guess he can. And well looking at the definition he wasn't creating a faulty argument just a very aggressive one. I digress.

But anyway if you're on the fence and haven't ever heard of Intelligent Design you might like it. I myself ran across the theory when I read Michael Behe's book "Darwin's Blackbox"... fairly compelling argumentation, which very simply posits that because of the recent developments in molecular biology, there is now increasingly impossible gaps, which are extremely complex to cross if we were able to account for Darwins theory- which we can't. It's interesting how ferociously, apparently, academia attacks this counter-theory, and I found most of the people, obviously biased, who may or may not believe in God, be proponents of this ID theory, seemed very rational and forthright. I mean there was this one guy who had discovered several planets. And there was this cute CUTE old man with apple cheeks who was like, scottish with sparkly whimisical eyes- and he said, it's better to get your world view out on the table so we can have the basis of conversation before we decide anything. I would totally just love to hear him chat. Anyway, yah, there could've been more hot scientist guys in the movie but intelligent conversation about a complex topic is fairly hot itself. It was nice to see. Also Ben Stein is awesome. I had no idea. I am going to go see this movie again, and maybe get a I"heart"BenStein bumpersticker. He is unabashedly- himself. Or rather, he just is who he is. Cuz he's all funny and smart and what not and totally a smart-ass. I can't say no to that. I can't. I don't care what you say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time. My roommate saw it and liked it a lot. I haven't been to the theater since January, so I'm more likely to catch it on DVD.

penelope said...

I totally heart Ben Stein!

Will add this to Netflix q.

~sarah said...

I wholeheartedly concur! I wish we'd been in the same discussion group! : )