Thursday, April 17, 2008

another vicious cycle

I can't, as I've said, stop painting trim. I'm almost done--I mean it, I really am, I have to be, because my house needs to be clean by Saturday. For N.Lo's Baptism. Not to mention the food I have to make, along with some other preparations. No more painting trim! I'm about to run out of paint, anyway. And I were to do every piece of molding in the house, seriously, it would be every piece of molding in the house, because they could all use a freshening. But I'm happy with the ones I've done, particularly in the kitchen, where my eye was drawn to/repelled by them, what with the new kitchen paint. It looks clean, fresh, and good. Doorframes, living room/kitchen door, the inner edge of the Dutch door, the bottom part of the kitchen window frame. Brills. But I'm stuck on this last little vexing piece of horrible trim on the front door. The front door hadn't been painted at all up until now for this very reason: that trim is nearly impossible to paint. It's kind of different and quirky and whatever, gives the house a little character, so I don't mind the trim in and of itself. But the painting, ugh. I painted the rest of the door white yesterday and this morning, and was left with the untouchable rectangle in the middle, standing out like a sore thumb. So then I think I'll paint it a whole different color, other than white. Maybe red, or black, or brown, or something. Bad idea. Ugly. Don't do it. I try it anyway, it's a wreck. This is all after I spend half an hour of hand-cramping tape gymnastics trying to get the glass all covered up. So then I try, dare I say it, to spray paint the obnoxious trim piece. Spray painting is an unmitigated disaster, and I should never have tried it. I now have unremovable white spots on my carpet. Because of course I do not do intelligent things like put down drop cloths while painting. My record proves this all too well.

Meanwhile, my iced coffee brain is racking up 50 million other tasks that need--okay, that I would really like to be completed before the weekend. They aren't going to happen, or at least not some of the more far-fetched, grandiose schemes. I veto several line items from the list. I feel a little better. But I still have this fucking trim that needs to be painted, which is a) looking ugly still and b) taking up way more time than I would like. And c) is standing in the way of my dusting, and guest bedroom sheet-changing, and fish-tank cleaning, and bathroom cleaning. And then I'm afraid I'll "finish" said trim, pull off the muscle-cramping tape job, and realize that I did a terrible job of painting the trim's inside, because it's practically flush with the glass and impossible to get to properly, and then I might actually blow a gasket.

Then J.Lo says, why don't you just take out the offending trim?

What? What. What do you mean, take it out. Like just get rid of it, forever? Could this not have been mentioned before.
So. I haven't solved the problem of what to do with that too-large section of exposed glass (a tiny, Smurf-sized curtain, complete with tie-backs?), but I think it may just have to go, that piece of crap trim. My psyche can't handle the pressure of getting the thing painted correctly, or even just thoroughly. I'm thinking that a little house character is sometimes overrated. That is all.

5 comments:

mendacious said...

we are a pair aren't we. i love it when our neuroses mind meld together.

some advice about the paint problem though you can spray pam or grease on the window and then sloppily paint the trim even if it hits the glass- bcs the paint regardless will easily chip or scrape off with a credit card or palette knife.

Anonymous said...

How do you spray the window without getting it on the trim where you want the paint to stick?

Not that I'm planning to paint any trim at our house...just wondering how best to file away this tip for future reference :)

mendacious said...

you spray it on a detail brush silly person. lotion will also work. or you can leave it dusty or not. paint is actually very easy to remove from windows esp if it's waterbased latex.

Anonymous said...

Ah. Nice :)

ashley said...

Pen, clearly, you need to step away from the paintbrush, and no one will get hurt.