Monday, October 9, 2006

Part II: Section C: why do good blogs die

penelope: insane.
penelope: (zombie eyes icon)
penelope: (loser symbol icon)
mendacious: uh, i think what i was saying was like - totally valid. okay so back to the question: why do good blogs die...
penelope: sorry. you were saying? good blogs die because their mothers don't love them.
mendacious: or fathers.
penelope: they're neglected and then they starve to death.
penelope: yes, or fathers.
mendacious: indifference. it's cruel- but you know maybe it just doesn't work for them.
mendacious: it's hard to not fight for the good ones though- it's hard to let them go.
penelope: i don't think blog authors fight hard enough to let their blogs live. and i myself am guilty. look at convincing john.
penelope: less than a month--dead.
penelope: but--the only way for cj to work was submissions and interest. it lacked both.
mendacious: yah. that was hard. it's also difficult to realize how much support people need to get things started and stay afloat.
mendacious: hitler didn't have that problem
penelope: yes, and how hard it is to rally! esp when you're not the charismatic cheerleader type.
penelope: no, hitler had a lot of charisma.
mendacious: and minions
mendacious: lots of those.
penelope: and a lot of scared, close-minded people to believe him. but those are not the type of blog followers i would like.
mendacious: no. let's not support those blog-types. i want love, nurturing and a whole lot of snark. but not apathy or blind faith
penelope: me too! are our expectaions too high??
mendacious: yah but we can't compromise even if it means at the end of the day we stand alone in subversive genius
penelope: no. and even though i would love donations, i wouldn't want donations to be because readers believe we are their savior.
penelope: no compromises!
mendacious: right but because they realize we want payment for services rendered... i mean uh bcs they know we have college debt to pay off.
penelope: um, yeah! i'm still waiting for my $40000 check to arrive. thanks. oh, and another $40k for j.lo's loans, that would be great, too. where is the LOVE.
mendacious: wow i'm $7G short of your combined total...
mendacious: thanks SAIC.
mendacious: well who are we kidding here- thanks ME!
penelope: all of life is debt.
penelope: yes, thanks me, too!
mendacious: that's way too existential.
mendacious: working toward something- full of good and evil.
mendacious: deep.
penelope: i guess. but really it's so short, what the hell does it matter. i mean, so long as you're not in over your head or taking advantage. the point is, when you die, no one else is responsible for your debt, it dies with you.
mendacious: well actually i have a couple of- we'll come after your own, break your kneecap type loans- but it's only for like $7G. fucking citiassist.
penelope: i mean, i'm all for being responsible. but i'm also lining some rich motherfucker's pockets with every payment i send. so. that guy's not more deserving than me.
penelope: okay. well, try and take care of that one first. but the others, screw it. i mean, do what you can, but don't sweat it.
mendacious: well that's what we get for dealing with the mafia.
mendacious: it's like that turtle giving a scorpian a ride on his back on a river- it's in their nature... to sting you till we both die.
mendacious: and we knew that going in
penelope: yes, there are some risks.
mendacious: even if they are scamming rich motherfuckers who bleed the middle class dry
penelope: yes--it's like we're worrying ourselves into an early grave trying to pay them back, and yet, the reason why they're so rich is bcs they don't have much of a conscience and have no problems sleeping at night.
penelope: i mean, it's all well and good so long as i a) don't end up homeless b) keep my kneecaps intact and c) try to live according to what I feel is ideal, as a human being.
mendacious: exactly- they don't care. and it's like our blog and other good blogs that die- we can't let it get us down. we have to keep blogging and living and trying to make a difference

**this public service announcement brought to you by...[ ] in conjunction with [ ] all rights services and something something here in...

penelope: tell it, sister.
penelope: but if we do have a sponsor, it would be nice if they could pay us. i'm just saying.
mendacious: yah, just a little something.

6 comments:

Somebody's Mom said...

Uh, maybe they died because you didn't love them enough. Yes, it's all your fault!

Should you stop keeping your blog, my descent into the depths will be on your heads.

I'm just sayin'

Daniel Bruckner said...

fine.

I've read through all your elongated jibber jabber on this matter. I've taken into account and mulled over each point you've brought up. I've sat here in my ascot, sipping on brandy, close to the fireplace, with a Wordsworth across my lap, and I must admit, I'm making a great fool of myself.

I must sharpen a pencil forthwith. I feel there may be a fight left in me yet!

penelope said...

go, johann! woohoo!

all our jibber jabber is rooted in love.

mendacious said...

i love me some jibber jabber. i pity the fool who doesn't.

Cue said...

I'm so behind on my blog reading that I only got to this now.

My mediocre blog is on the fence not because I don't love it (I do! I really, really do!) but because I think it got compromised when I got canned because of it. I came up with this not-me identity, saying things behind a shield, and -- six months later -- the result is that I feel totally un-authentic. (Hell, you know what I mean.) So, if I carve out the time to write my life, I'd like it to kinda represent the actual me. Dig? So, yah. That's my new challenge. Of course, that's also a bitch b/c I don't love that some folks who strongly dislike me in life comprise a portion of my readership. But, you know -- whatev.

But I can't tell you why the good blogs die. Doesn't make sense to me, either. ;)

mendacious said...

we totally feel you. nothing but love from pen/m to keep blogging in whatever form. we just acknowledge we're greedy greedy bastards- and want good things like rainbows and stories to last forever.