Monday, October 23, 2006

day1- travel

the plane took off at a vertical pitch- it's the downfall of shortrunways. then it dipped to the right and to the left and by then i was unprepared and breathing heavily- fun ain't it, said the attendant. heh, phew i said. sure. made me remember one can get rusty at flying... for instance- i forgot cash, i walked to the wrong terminal bcs in my mind B follows A and does not precede it so of course B is to the right? wrong. and then i didn't demand a full can of club soda until the 2nd flight, and i became disoriented and couldn't remember where the CTA trains were into Chicago... but it's good to be back in my 2nd home.

once i entered the midwest zone- specifically on my layover in texas a sort of calm normalcy prevaded the environment. i noticed a pick up in sports talk and the boys got bigger. for instance my entire row would've won a "girth" contest... and i smiled at that- aw, my people. it's good to be home. where as in LA- i feel like a freakish giant at 5'9 and over a size 18. but on the plane the entire row of us, one might say, were like an offensive line. the guy next to me was 6'4 and at least 350. then to my right across the aisle wasanother guy over 6'3 skirting the ceiling of the plane when he stood up and then next to him was a guy in the 150-180 rage and next to him a girl mysize but maybe an inch taller. it was a good thing we were centered in the middle of the plane. i wanted to bring it up to my girth group but i thought it in poor taste and went back to reading wings of the dove- which i finally after 4 months finished reading- and i think most surprising was that Kate Croy is a bit of a socio-path- but that's for another post.

after we landed i popped up and told the guys to get out before me bcs i said i was feeling bad for them- and they laughed and i think, appreciated the sympathy... and on the way to baggage i finally began to be excited- like i'm really here- and then i thought- what am i going to do to fill my time.. and how much money do i have in my bank account??

my 3 most immediate- i'm in chicago moments were- ah, mayor daleys name on everything, a street musician, and a homeless guy- on the way in i kept staring at the signs in the train like i'd never left- but had only jumped over from an alternate dimension... the city still feels the same but just a little less desperate and a whole lot more grownup- for instance my friend has granite countertops in her kitchen... and an office. i ponder the strangeness.
pluses though- her cat still hates me and most of my restaurants are waiting for me. of course after i purchase new walking shoes and have a hearty breakfast, review my schedule and pack my day bag... the day awaits.

xo.m.

6 comments:

Somebody's Mom said...

seize the day,

er attack!

And always ask for the whole can and a another of water. silly child.

penelope said...

chicago!!! how i miss thee.

can't wait for wicked.

vicariously yours,
pen

Anonymous said...

I love places that seem like you never left. Soak up every minute!

Daniel Bruckner said...

Those men are girthy

~sarah said...

you shame me w/ your swift travel blogging. and fyi, my internet at home CRAPPED OUT ON ME! that's right. i have to go call the devil tonight, aka SBC/Yahoo/ATT DSL...

rc-d said...

some are born with girth
some achieve girth
some have girth thrust upon them