Tuesday, October 24, 2006

day 3- bored

The trouble with vacationing in a city where you've been quite a lot is that you've run out of things to do that would amuse you. normally i'm all for adventuring alone but the reality is i'm not going to an aquarium by myself so i can wander thru by myself and comment on the shennanigans of otters to no one by myself. i'm narcissitic but sometimes that requires an audience.

besides shopping is DONE. so done. and the next best option is going to my school-but the thought of seeking out previous teachers is mortifying bcs really- are they going to remember me? so the next best is wandering thru the museum- and i ran into a lot of things i hadn't seen before and proceeded to take pictures of the ones i liked so i didn't have to spend hours gazing at them- time was short(sort of). now the museum was a bit of a trick to get into- mainly because i refuse to give them any money. cath pointed out that why am i so stringent with art museum but am willing to spend money elsewhere- she had an example but i wasn't listening. it's because they caused me to spend all this money on grad school- so i figure that for the rest of my life they should not be the cause of one more cent. so i go only to find out that the "suggested" donation has changed to "fixed"... and there is no longer a free day but some stingy free evenings. as if wandering around art in the dark is whatsoever satisfying. and no i didn't get my alumni card- so the guy barters down to $7 and i hung my head in my most defeated way and said, but i paid so much to go here already- and he gave me the ticket. abject pays. now the next hurtle is that they want me to check my bag... i'm not spending a $1 EACH per item. especially when i'm spoiled by museums like the getty who aren't strapped for cash and adding flashy content in order to make things more "interesting". but anyway i refuse. i take a walk to the backside of the museum where they won't allow anyone to enter except the school children bcs its an unsafe construction zone-why have green growing beautiful things when you could have more museum? why indeed.

so i trapse to the school side- hi clark- and tell the guard i'm alum, and although confused he lets me in which leads me to the corridor that leads me right to the museum. once at the now heavily guarded side entrance i do a columbo whilst searching for my ticket- the guard thinking that i'm a student searching for my i.d. says oh don't worry- and let's me in. score! muhahahaha. i'm victorious.

now you see the lengths that being alone in a familiar place has done to me. it's my only amusement.

2 comments:

penelope said...

Didn't that lifetime free membership to the museum come in the mail to you after graduation--you know, along with the box of Jujubes and the kick in the back?

Seriously, for the amount the school charged, I feel the Art Institute should spend its time traveling around the nation and parking in each alum's lawn for a day to give a personalized tour.

You shouldn't be bored of Chicago though. Doesn't that mean you're tired of life? Oh wait, that's London, riiiight.

Somebody's Mom said...

Dear child,
Of course at least one of the teachers would remember you, probably more. Of course your hair is a normal color, how could you be an artist!