Friday, May 11, 2007

love a good episode

Last night's episode of The Office was so exciting for me, I could barely stand it. It contained references to:

1. Harry Potter! Dwight's Beach Day Tribe was Gryffindor, and in response, Jim's team was Voldemort. Loved the way they taunted Dwight by chanting "Vol-de-mort," because he is, after all, "He Who Must Not be Named."

2. Survivor! Michael divided the workers into four tribes, and threw in random, totally out-of-context references to Tribal Council throughout the competition. It was fantastic.

3. Amanda Bynes. Kelly, in all her vapidity, referenced Amanda Bynes as a comedian (just like Bob Hope?). Then Michael said very seriously, "I love that movie, 'What a Girl Wants.'"

4. Willy Wonka. A few months ago, Andy confessionalled that the 5 Stamford branch newcomers were being picked off at the Scranton branch just like in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." I about lost it when he plopped into the water wearing his Sumo outfit and floated away, a la Augustus Gloop.

Then, to make it all even more worth it, Pam, jacked up on adrenaline after her coal walk, was brazenly honest to Jim about her feelings. She said everything she should have re: the wedding, Roy, their friendship, their relationship now. It was stunning. I cannot wait for next week's ep--except then it will be over for the summer. I predict Karen will get the NYC job and leave (effectively making her Charlie Bucket, winner of the grand prize, work-wise), and Jim, probably in a cliffhanger, will approach Pam so they can then live happily every after. Happy Vapid Kelly Sigh.

4 comments:

mendacious said...

hilarious on allpoints. i was giving hearty gaffaws as he floated away. though i think you're being too hopeful in regards to jim and pam... but i will try to hope with you.

Anonymous said...

And when will Andy be rescued and what did Toby do while they were gone?

Kim said...

No, I totally agree-- it only makes sense that Karen gets the job, because otherwise, either Jim or Michael will have to leave for a different office (again) and I will be totally bummed (again). I totally loved loved loved Pam's speech after the coal walk-- it's the kind of thing I always wanted to do, but knew secretly that it could only end in heartache...

Andria said...

We just finally watched this episode last night, so I came back to read your post, because I'd been avoiding it until we caught up. I was crying, I was laughing so hard at Andy floating away in the water. It was a very funny episode. Poor Toby! He's so pitiful, it makes me hurt! I have just started watching this year, so I know I have missed A LOT of the back drama, but I was shocked Pam made her speech to Jim in front of everyone! And Karen just sat there and let her! I'm so glad I got into this show; it's so fun.