Thursday, May 10, 2007

currently

Today's smooth move: opening the front door for K.Lo and I, overseeing her step down onto the porch with a pitcher of water in my hand, watching her tumble forward in a sort of somersault, and then in an effort to save her, dumping water all over her head. Sorry, Bug.

Tomorrow: Road Trip 3, hopefully the last for a little while. It's not that I mind traveling, I don't. When I actually reach my destination and can settle in for a day or two or three, I tend to have a great time. It's just the prep that goes into it, like for days before and after, I feel like I'm sort of on pause until the trip is over and everything's cleaned up from it. I stop reading, blogging, emailing, etc. It's like Travel Purgatory.

So, next week: I'm just going to Stay Home and Be. I'd like to clean several rooms, and sort through the mountains of pictures I just ordered. I hadn't ordered any pics since September, the sheer volume of this shipment is frightening. And I'm planning new nursery colors, and trying to decide whether my current consensus is too busy. But it's a kid's room--lots of color and action, within reason, is a good thing, no? I think it will work. Also, Bug should be getting a new bed soon. It's the greatest bed on earth, I feel. A reversible bunk bed where the bottom mattress actually rests on the floor, so it's like a little cave to play in during the day. And then if you don't want to use it as a bunk bed anymore, you can flip it over and it's a single twin bed. Fantastico!

Secret I'll take to the grave: shipping & handling charges from IKEA. I won't even tell J.Lo. It's... shocking. Literally, when the rep read me the amount over the phone, I stopped breathing for a moment.

But, moving on: didn't Dionne totally deserve to go home on ANTM? She's been lagging for weeks, but flying under the radar. Natasha had a bad, bad day, and I wish she could have stepped it up through her sickness. But it was her first "second chance." Jaslene only has one look that's fierce, and so I want her to go home, leaving Natasha and NeNe (omg, stop it with the "personas" already), to battle it out on the catwalk. In spite of what the other girls say regarding Natasha's elusiveness, I'm intrigued and amused that she keeps her cards close to her chest, and I kind of hope she takes it all. Who cares if her husband's 40+ and she practically makes out with the phone while they're talking. I like her.

And then what will happen?: We're coming up on my most dreaded time of year, summer. Most particularly because all the good TV goes away and we're left with crappy knockoffs, i.e. Pirate Master. What is that all about? Survivor, it won't be. And Johann, I just don't know about Earl, or about any of these Survivors left. I was so Team Alex, now I don't know who to root for. Possibly I'll be cheering on Yau-Man, and yeah, if Earl wins I won't be too disappointed. But Stacy? Or Cassandra? Or even Boo? BLEGH. Maybe I'll root for Dreamz. He is an ILM-er, even if he is, at least in the world of Survivor Strategy, a few fries short of a Happy Meal. (ANTM: Best line ever!)

Anyway, as I was saying: Summer. It's so goddamn hot, is the thing. Must think about fresh, in-season vegetables, flip-flops, and sitting on the porch. Cookouts and camping trips. And in the absence of good TV, more reading, and more movies! Or, for the moment, maybe I won't think about it at all.

5 comments:

mendacious said...

everyone needs a good dousing once and a while.

Andria said...

I often have moments like that where afterwards I chide myself for trying to do or carry too much at once, because D can take both hands in an instant and I take that for granted (the other day we had a scary moment of her doing the flailing arm circles at the edge of the brick steps on the front porch where I threw everything down in the attempt to steady her). I can just see myself crying from laughing while I attempted to pat dry a sputtering Dellaina!

I totally understand your road trip woes. There is so much thought and laying out and listing in preparation and laundry before AND after to get ready and make sure you have everything you could possibly think to need. I hope you enjoy the trip, but also the staying home time next week!

The bed sounds super cool, but I can't quite picture it or how it works. I've been stressing about when/how to move Dellaina to a "big girl" bed, too.

Never be afraid of color, I say and especially in a kids room! I got some comments about our neon lime green choice and "hoping the baby can sleep!" but I've love it and Dellaina loves all the animals we painted, too. So much so, I don't think we'll be changing it this time around either! It feels like so much work and effort went into it, getting use out of it again is desirable.

I am soooo glad Dionne is finally gone! I really wanted Natasha to step it up, too, but she really regressed! I'm glad they gave her another chance, though. Jaslene does really want it, so would be crushed, but I agree that Renee and Natasha should be the final 2!

Summer time is hard without all the great shows, but somehow it works out nicely having a break, too, to do some other things.
Sorry for the long comments! I'm chatty today. . .

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I'm a little scared of how much TV you watch, Pen. Just kidding. :) But you weren't really disturbed to miss that VH1 marathon, right? Oh come now.

penelope said...

"miffed," not disturbed. and i am a very enthusiastic, yet very efficient tv watcher. i don't waste time on commercials, and once the dvr roll is done, i'm off to something else.

not that i'm feeling judged.

thanks for all your comments, a! i will definitely post pics of the bed when it comes, as it's kind of hard to explain. i've never seen one like it before.

Kim said...

Regarding ANTM, have you been disappointed by this season? It just seems so obvious every week who's going home... I'm pretty sure Renee is going to take it all, which depresses me, because she's an angry, self-absorbed beeotch.