Tuesday, May 22, 2007

el sucko

Today J.Lo and I went out to lunch, something we don't get to do very often. As prego, it was my call, and though Schlotsky's was calling my name, I opted for us to go to Roudabush's cafe, which is a sandwich shop downtown. J.Lo had never been, and I'd been about 3 times, enjoying it every time. They have a buffet, but I've always gone with the sandwiches, because they really are very unique and good. It was what I was in the mood for.


Except that, they no longer serve sandwiches. You don't even get a menu. The options are: buffet of the day (today: country cooking) or soup, sandwich, and salad buffet. Now, I love a good country buffet, I do. But note that a) I was in the mood for a yummy sandwich, not country cooking, and b) I love a good country buffet. After discovering the new lack of choices at Roudabush's, everything about the lunch was pretty much el sucko. We paid $20 and some change for mediocre fare, including a stale, unspectacular ham and turkey sandwich, garlic mashed potatoes with Heinz gravy, lukewarm mac and cheese, and a few strawberries. They didn't even have chicken and pastry, which may have redeemed the experience, but no.


Live and learn, but next time I'm going for tried-and-true hot dogs at the Trolley Stop.

4 comments:

ashley said...

I went there for Sunday brunch one time. And I like my brunch to be more the "br" side of things - like breakfast-y instead of lunch-y. But the breakfast stuff was just kind of ick. Sorry for your disappointment.

Anonymous said...

hmm. i've always liked the buffet there. they have the whole separate veggie buffet up top and a lot of various types of salads. i usually like their pasta and pork chops and soup, too. And the lemon bars. sorry it didn't do it for you.

penelope said...

I think I was so disappointed about the sandwiches being gone, nothing was going to do it for me. Even the strawberries tasted blah.

Andria said...

whenever I talk my co-workers into going somewhere, it inevitable becomes a bad experience: the place is closed or takes forever or something gets messed up in the order. It's always so disappointing when something you come to expect up and changes! And the craving will linger for days for me if it's not sated correctly!