Monday, May 21, 2007

off my list

So, Summer Movie Season 2007 has begun, and in addition to written EW descriptions of upcoming features, we now have the commercials. And because of the commercials, I have to revise my list. It's just too embarassing, leaving it out there like that, after getting more of the real flavor of what's in store. Dunzo are the following:

1. License to Wed. Sorry Jim from The Office, sorry Mandy Moore. This flick looks bad. And it's not even just that Robin Williams once again seems to cross that line of what's really funny over into what's really stupid, playing the high-pitched, hyped-up priest who is running the couple's marriage prep class. The stuff they're supposed to do looks dumb, the plot in general seems plain retarded, and though I laughed a tiny bit at the MC Hammer ref... no. Just, no.

2. Hot Rod. Why do films featuring SNL cast members tend to be mega-stupid? It's like, all that comedic talent, and it goes to waste once they hit the big screen. How do these scripts get greenlit? I despise "stupid" comedy... comedy reserved for fifth-grade boys, with absolutely no intelligence behind it. A fart joke thrown in here and there, a vomiting walrus--whatever. If you must, you must. But a whole film with such a brainless, slapstick-only vibe? Maybe I'm misjudging this movie, and it will turn out to be a Ferrell- or Sandler-esque exception to the SNL rule. But, I really don't think so. Boo.

That's all for now, but I have a feeling I might be adding amendments to this list as reviews and additional ads are released.

4 comments:

ashley said...

Please tell me that the vomiting walrus is not an indication that you don't like 50 First Dates! I love that movie - and find the walrus far more tolerable than Sean Astin's lisping.

penelope said...

I totally love 50 First Dates! But I have to look away during the walrus vomit. I always feel like that scene particularly is in that movie to keep the guys with it. Otherwise, how else would they be roped into watching a romantic comedy.

I kind of love Sean Astin's lisp, though. I shouldn't, but I do. I think his character cracks me up mainly because it was such a leap from LoTR.

mendacious said...

thank god you've amended the list. mmm, lists.

Kim said...

I have to admit, I was totally, totally bummed when I saw how crappy Office Jim's movie looked. Poor Office Jim...