Thursday, May 31, 2007

love you, pie

I'm really sad in writing this post, and though supposedly a writer, I'm terrible with tributes, both happy and sad. I'm bad about telling people I love them, and why. I suck at good-byes. I leave cards blank except for "love" and "penelope." I can't ever seem to find the right words, so I just don't say much of anything, which is probably bad. I just try to Be There, and hope that people know that I care, and how I care, and that they can count on me.

Anyway.

If you live or have ever lived in ILM, chances are you know The Pie. Moonpie, that is, of Laura and Moonpie. Everyone thinks that their pet is the greatest, but you have to admit that The Pie is pretty hard to beat. When I think of Pie, so many things come to mind:

tenacious

charming

eerily person-like

cuddly

hates Bender

lost for days, but returned

hit by a car, but survived

excitable

high jumper, like she's on springs

loyal friend

uber-photogenic

camper

party dog

knows how to whisper

makes you laugh

Bailey's best pal

Worley's best pal

sleeps at your feet, under the sheets

scares K.Lo, but mainly due to enthusiasm

car chaser

can't catch her

out for squirrels

will beg for junk food, i.e. Bender-food

once ate a plate of shrimp

she just knows, The Pie does

can wear any hat

expressive

can tell you what she wants

never backs down

firecracker

(though whimpers at fireworks)

grumpy, even crotchety

yet undeniably sweet


The Pie, Moon-pig, Moonie, Moonpie, Piggety-Pie

At not even 7 years old, Moonpie has become randomly, terribly, and unconquerably ill. She has to be put down tonight, there really is no other choice. It makes me cry just thinking about it, though I know what I feel is nothing compared to what her family feels, and will feel. I just want to say, we'll miss you, Pie, all of us. You're the best, and even though you hate my dog (which, by the way--totally understandable, she's a mess), I love ya, you are irreplacable.

To Pie.

6 comments:

Megs said...

I was sad beyond belief to hear about Moonpie this morning. She is a dog among dogs and will be sorely missed.

mendacious said...

tis a fine tribute.

Cue said...

NOOOO!

Oh, man. I'm so sorry to hear this! It's a fine tribute, and yet... I'm sad.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Pen, and everybody. This is one of the hardest things ever. I don't think I've ever been so sad. I learned so much from Moonpie, it's impossible to express in words. I appreciate the fact that others noticed how special she was. Because she really was a good, good, dog and I was so lucky to know her.

penelope said...

We're all going to miss her... she truly was a legend, and one of a kind. I'm sorry you had to lose her so long before what should have been her time.

Kim said...

I, too, was saddened by this-- even sadder that right after I read it the first time, a picture of Moonpie came up on my screensaver.

My screensaver works so hard to make me sad.

Rest in peace, Moonpie. You were beloved by all.