Tuesday, August 14, 2007

tv: heating up

First, may I begin with a love letter to Netflix.

Dear Netflix,

Thank you for making an unprecedented clerical error yesterday in thinking that I have already returned Weeds: Season 2, Disc 1. In actuality, the disc was still in our DVD player, watched, yes, but not at your return facility. However, your mistake means that we will receive Disc 2 all the more quickly, which is super, because Season 2 is really fantastic. I especially enjoy Conrad.

P.S. I did mail in Disc 1 yesterday, so no one should get in too much trouble.

xo,
pen


Second, while it's not yet the Fall 2007 Primetime Season (but soon!), some better shows are returning to the airwaves, upgrading TV from its former Snoozefest status. Now it's not just Top Chef, Last Comic, Big Love, and Flight of the Conchords. May I recommend:

The Real World, Sydney: This season there's a girl named Parisa who appears (so far) to have a few IQ points... I know, it's astonishing. While KellyAnne is smoking hot, she's whiny and high maintenance, and I am totally rooting for Parisa in the house Bitch Battles. I just hope she doesn't get sick of the shallow scene before her and comes back for challenges.

The Hills: After last season ended, I was a little turned off in reading about Heidi's latest adventures in pop singing and boobage increase. Lame. I know, the whole show is really kind of lame, but I can't help myself. I love Whitney. I kind of love Audrina, too. And although Spencer the Giovanni Ribisi Knockoff is such a Pratt I want to come through the screen and jam both thumbs into his eye sockets, his proposal wasn't too shabby... hell, it's so not going to last. Nor will Lauren and Jason--ugh, are you kidding me?? Are they really going to get back together? Sigh. Lo, talk some sense into her.

***
All right, this short list is pretty horrible, but alas. It's something. The Fall Season quickly approaches, and if we're lucky, more shows will prove themselves worthy, make the TV week a little more fun and interesting. Tim Gunn, I'm counting on you!

5 comments:

mendacious said...

may i suggest monk and psych over these things! scrubs reruns even. or just netflix. turn the tv off and walk away.

penelope said...

miss highbrow, we all need our share of vapid entertainment during the week. note that i have managed to stay away from the scott baio show on vh1...somehow. and that's been tough.

also, i totally watch monk and psych and should have included them on the list! but then summer wouldn't have looked quite so barren.

mendacious said...

well i could mention things like hells kitchen or kitchen nightmares or even the reruns of ANTM on VH1... but you know... if you're only recs are the hills and real world you must expect derision. high or low or no.

xoxo.m.

penelope said...

hell's kitchen?! m, i just shuddered.

xoxo,
pen the snob in her own way

Anonymous said...

Burn Notice is fun if you're looking for something action/comedic.

And I've been watching all the reruns of Ghost Hunters over the summer...not quite sure why it hooked me.