Saturday, August 4, 2007

Weddings














I went for a romantic greco-20's look. Of course the camera that has an actual pic of the dress is not giving up it's Gig, so these will have to do. It's chiffon, tapered just below the knees.i tried my hardest to pull it classic as it could've easily slipped 70's with the gathered bodice and the chiffon tie running down the front...

The wedding was good. It didn't have a lot pomp to it. But when you don't know anyone but one or two people that look "familiar" comfortable chairs and ceremony can go a long way, but then again they were already living together and known each other for more than a decade, so it seemed more like a rededication than anything.

My big mistake, besides general fatigue, unexplained except that hello it was friday night after a tiresome work week, was the heels, which i managed except for the grass. I feel that you should warn women that there's grass so that we can plan our shoe attire properly. Who wants to stab the grass and teeter backward or walk on the balls of your feet the whole time? Luckily the reception was in a hall. There were a few classic looks in attendence, smart cuts with fitted waists and tasteful but young and flirty formality about them, a couple conservative wearing black types which i feel though is awfully dreary for a summer wedding in california, the humble middle class whose tastes are usually simple and almost always smack of coming from the office. (ooo snob!) and then an overwhelming number of the mid-to-late 20' somethings entrenched in the fashion of the 60's and 70's. Drapey polyester, halter tops, patterns, browns, greens, pretty but seemed more suited for a night out than an actual wedding. Of course half of these girls were getting lit in the parking lot and seemed to impatiently wait for the dancing to begin anyway. The boys generally well suited with shaved heads- I don't know why.

I was tragically not into the wedding. Though it was beautiful and i love the bride. I felt completely out of place. It happens as such when one doesn't know anyone and you have nothing to do not even help. The couple weddings where i only knew the bride/groom I had things to do- decorations, trouble shooting. This time i was cut adrift and with my mom. Which posed a problem for the whole seating arrangement. We (my mom and i) were in the odd friends of friends friends category. Left with 2 empty seats besides me and 4 friends of the brides mother. Who also knew us as 'my next door neighbor for 15 years' and 'childhood friend of bride'... but with no one at all who cared to hear our stories or asked if we had any anyway. I looked longingly at the young set already getting smashed and clanking their glasses and felt i was sorely belonging to some other time and place. When the dancing began I thought it would've been fun to dance but I was already picturing my retreat and with a okay, we're leaving (after a meer 3 hour, 7-10pm attendence), goodbye, we love you, you're lovely, congratulations, we left with our wee pots of white pegonias and an unfulfilled desire for chocolate dipped chocolate icecream cones- who may i ask waits to serve the cake till after the dancing?! Torture. I had to leave without it. But props to them for the dance which was an entertaining salsa.

I felt a tinge bad for leaving but it was a small enough wedding where there weren't enough strangers to blend into, and left me rethinking my attendence at a jackson, wy. wedding coming up. I told the bride i was trying to come out, but no offer to stay with friends, or family, but a reference to cheap hotels in the area, and a 'love it if you could come' made it seem like some sort of decadent mercy invite. I don't get it. But can only assume that she thinks i'm wealthy enough to blow $500 on a plane ticket and 4days of hotel and rental carfare. Since it's ontop of a mountain and a 4 day event wedding- rodeo, day at the lake, night out and day of... seems like there wouldbe enough people to blend in with and get to know (maybe a hot outdoorsmen) but my show doesn't close until the 31st, so i'd just be up for the saturday wedding- and if i don't have time to get drunk with everyone 3 days running before, even if a friend of mine from chicago flies out with me, i am skeptical as to my social success at the wedding, as gorgeous and spectacular as i assume it will be-

I am left pouty without major story or incident, a vague feeling of displacement, a girl dressed up and pretty, but alone by the wall, near the cheese tray.

6 comments:

penelope said...

you are lovely, my dear.

but wait, a rodeo? please elaborate.

Kurt said...

Ah, weddings. They always give me a reason to feel slighted!

mendacious said...

kurt, exactly! truer words were never spoken. (and no open bar?! geesh! ; )

pen- apparently @ the teton fairgrounds there will be a rodeo and the wedding party and crew will be in full attendence.
'holla! like i haven't been to a rodeo since i was in 2nd grade but there's horses and bulls and riders and who knows what... is all i can imagine.

Anonymous said...

At least the rodeo would be an activity instead of stand around making small talk.

The last wedding I attended had an awkward high school moment during the dancing when a guy asked my friend to dance, but his roommate (who I'd already danced with earlier) and another guy I knew from college just stood there next to me watching everyone dancing. Ha.

But you look great! Although I agree that women need some kind of warning about ground that's potentially difficult to traverse in heels.

~sarah said...

oh but cheese is oh so tasty and who wants to know anyone who won't come over to enjoy a good cheese tray?

ashley said...

Mendacious - are you available to do my hair for the next wedding I'm in? I'd rather give you the $60 for the lovely Grecco Roman style than someone who gives me a hideous updo.