Tuesday, August 28, 2007

letters to myself.

i took that thing we did senior year in HS just a little too seriously. so every 5 years i write myself a letter. so far i've met myself being uncanny, too-talkative and melodramatic, spot-on and possibly much too vague. my friend danica was intrigued. so i finally after months of harassment have fished them out of the paper binder bin in the back of my closet. letter 3 can't be opened until summer '09, and i think i should maybe write letters to myself with a little more frequency and maybe with a little more concrete detail. things i ran across and decided to throw out last night: star/planets finder booklet (but no starchart), handfuls of letters from my then BFF kelly who after a time revealed how little she knew me- but all those letters pre-internet, those must have meant something but i reluctantly threw them away circa 94-99 but kept a couple. also thrown away: letters from laudie, kristen, erin, miscellaneous articles about tea, and the crow problems in japan. things saved: letters from matt, letter where i absolotely go postal on ex-friend ethan, an essay on hope written by my brother, report cards, college papers- my favorite quote: "a loose, rough draft, of a very very good paper." hee. i love school. i miss it so. also, beginnings of penelope/mendacious dialoguing circa 2001, dreaded thesis paper i refuse to look at (7 years later), and playbills collected since 1989.

all of this would normally leave me with a swarming sense of pathos, but mainly it's like i've just eaten a good piece of chocolate. i want more, the taste was good but lingering, have too much and you'll get sick, so walk away now while you're satisfied.

7 comments:

~sarah said...

so are we going to get to read any bits of these letters? i'm intrigued! i think i have some of those somewhere. i should dig them up too.

Kurt said...

I have a file on everyone I know withe every letter/card they have sent me.

mendacious said...

kurt you ARE an inspiration to me.

Andria said...

wow. a file?! I keep cards/letters, but am not nearly so organized. It's somewhat by year in shoeboxes mostly. Having a file for everyone, that's crazy cool. And intimidating if I was someone that knew you and wrote to you. Do you add notes to the files, too, of your own opinions or stories about the person? Very intriguing. . .

Anonymous said...

Are your letters about where you are, or where you think you will be when you next read them?

I finally chucked a bunch of old birthday cards and stuff. Yes, they were fun and made me happy. No I don't need them forever.

I do still have a card my dad mailed me a month or so after graduation when I still couldn't find a job. That was the pre-Paramount era :)

penelope said...

I have a ginormous box of cards, dating back from oh, 1996 to present? I can feel the Disapproval Vibe from all who make its acquaintance. I need to take a page out of almost anon's book, I'm sure I would feel several pounds lighter if I sorted through and chucked most, if not all.

Anonymous said...

Purging is good.