Friday, March 23, 2007

Sedated

I know that I keep complaining about the job and more over my utter apathy over how i normally am toward these sorts of things and how i'm not that and how that's weird. talking it over with pen i think i'm sedated. something is being slipped into my tea or the medication i'm not on is all wrong. case in point: the GM is crazybut somehow it never occurs to me to know her as that- it's like i see her and i try to forget her, like she doesn't exist outside of the minutes i see her. but unintentionally. i try to fly under her radar and most of the managers radar but one day I found out that she was the one who was putting the dirty dishes found in the sink into the cabinets... yes. as in, the dishes are sitting there waiting to be cleaned with particles of food and who knows what... and she picks them up dripping, filmed and gross and sets them in the cabinets... because i guess she doesn't want to see them in the sink? and to top that i brought a couple bowls in- that EVERYONE used. so they were always in the sink and she threw them both out. when i think about it- like just now, a little ball of rage formed and started hovering in the middle of my chest... but then unlike now i just zone out, job search, look at the clock and keep on walking... and in another noted debasement of the working class- the morning crew is addicted to coffee. thankfully i'm not, so i don't feel it as keenly but i observed that some malicious... okay well lets just say spiteful-actioned person- and i know spite- was pouring coffee grounds into the sink. he's been here 3 years, he needs to be medicated, really, a frustrated actor and in desperate need of a different job- but he cares, really cares about his job or the work of it, so the only thing he can do are these futile little manuevers, which if i were in his place i would totally do- so the plummer has had to come out umpteenth times and finally the sink was clogged feet deep in grounds and it stopped working- and the company said we'll refuse to pay for it- so then finally they got filters for the coffee maker, which hello! about time- and then after that they put up bolded stronglyworded texts with exclamations that no food stuff goes in the sink and to not ever ever EVER put coffee grounds there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! etc... sort of also futile and ridiculous. and then suddenly there was a nice but strongly worded labelmaker label that the coffee would be "made by the opening manager"... and then the actual coffee disappeared and is now locked in the cash office so that only the "opening manager" can get to it... nice.

but bye bye, tra la la... off into the field of poppies i go. tra la la.

8 comments:

Kurt said...

I LOVE workplace signs, especially the one over the paper cutter that says CLEAN UP YOUR MESS! I love it first of all for the professional tone it sets in the workplace. Also, does management think that thoughtless people who don't clean up after themselves will suddenly change because of a sign?

Somebody's Mom said...

Well said Kurt.
At my office we have always assumed that people were idiots who put food down the drain... and required the call to the plumber.(not a garbage disposer to be had imagine the trouble that could be caused if there was one! drool)
Now I learn that it is just simple hostilty towards the workplace. We'll put up smily faces near the sink to put the folks in a better mood.

penelope said...

My freshman year of college, this weird chick in our "suite" kept washing her dishes in the bathroom sinks, trying to cram all the leftover food particles down the drain, too. Finally it caught up and the maintenance crew had to come in to fix it. The clog was so bad they had to drill a giant hole in the CONCRETE wall behind the sinks. Doubt she even felt bad about it.

I too love workplace signs. After the first few days they become such a part of the decor, no one ever reads or registers them again.

Cue said...

If not for workplace signs, I wouldn't be able to get anything done on my own.

"CLEAN UP YOUR MESS" -- really? Wow! NEVER would have occurred to me!

"WASH YOUR DISHES" -- oh, there isn't a dish fairy for that?

That's some crazy shit, dude. My feeling on that is, adults should know how to think for themselves, clean up after themselves, and be responsibile for themselves. But see, everytime I get to thinking that way, I just end up disappointed.

I secretly always wanted to tear down those office signs, esp. the typed-label ones. But that's just me.

ashley said...

We don't have signs, but we do sometimes get emails. Like the one that said, "Please put your dishes in the dishwasher and not the sink. Your mother doesn't work here."

Trey said...

My contributions to the work signs at the psych hospital:
"The floggings will continue until morale improves" (employee lounge on deaf unit)
"The owls are not what they seem"
(medication room, adult acute unit)
Not originals, but they stirred up some fun.
Hiding the coffee is a dangerous gambit. Keep an eye peeled for addicts going postal. Or postum. whichever.

mendacious said...

i need to be subversive. you're so right. mmm! yes.

Anonymous said...

When I worked in the ninth level of hell (a nameless learning center), we had signs of all varieties.

Once, as I was signing in for the day, one of the manager saw that I'd brought in some coffee, asked if it was my coffee, and then told me to take it to the kitchen to drink it.

Luckily, I'm not the violent sort. But I did have violent fantasies about that moment for some time.