Tuesday, March 27, 2007

craving

As noted, in some ways this pregnancy is vastly different from the first one. There's the hair thing, and (should I say it? will it jinx it?) I'm not quite as Green. Last time I was sick for basically a whole summer, at least, and this time, at least I've had some breaks. (P.S. to God: thank you thank you thank you.) But craving-wise? Apparently when I'm pregnant, my brain thinks it's time to eat:

1) meals featuring ground beef, i.e. Sloppy Joes, meatballs, enchiladas, tacos, and hamburgers

2) sides featuring potato products, i.e. mashed potatoes, potato salad, and fries.

Although last night I had an overwhelming urge for brownies (still there, btw, still unsatisfied), there really hasn't been much else that stands out, aside from the ground beef and potato randomness. Is it a nostalgia thing, or is this just what my body needs? I do believe in the importance of cravings, like it means your body needs something in that food, and unless you're craving dirt or paint chips, you should listen. Last week I feasted on Sloppy Joes every day for lunch, and I can't seem to stop myself from purchasing Potato Buds. I've never bought Potato Buds outside of pregnancy, and it's not that I have anything against Potato Buds and the people who use them, but I suppose outside of pregnancy, the desire for mashed potatoes is not so pressing. I can take the time to peel, dice, cook and mash real potatoes; whereas when pregnant, must have mashed potatoes yesterday. And it only takes a few minutes with the help of the microwave.

Which, speaking of, it is actually 3 minutes past 11 EST, and therefore technically LUNCH. I'm out.

2 comments:

Cue said...

At least you have a good reason -- I'll sometimes be like, MUST HAVE GRILLED TOFU! (or something equally random), and I'm neither knocked up nor anywhere close to getting there.

Then again, more often it's more like, "MUST HAVE A VODKA MARTINI!" Sadly, I think there are social repercussions to acting on that.

Anyway, all this to say, carry on. Nothing wrong with a little meat/potatoes/brownies. I'm just glad to hear that the Being Green takes a leave of absence now and again.

mendacious said...

mmm. weird. i'd say more but i have to eat my burger and fries.