Monday, March 19, 2007

unseemly

I've noticed over the past few days certain unseemly habits and patterns developing as a result of this pregnancy. Some are old and have simply returned; others are freshly disturbing. It's a result of tiredness and over-hormonalness and I-don't-care-ness, and sometimes it's just an attempt to uncurl myself from the vile little ball of inertia that I so often become. Here, at the moment, are some:

1. I don't recycle as much. Cardboard boxes, yogurt containers, any other plastics or cans that require too much washing out, or whatever, go in the trash. Sometimes I'll have just taken down an armload of stuff from the kitchen to the laundry room where our bins are, and I really don't want to see the pile by the sink accumulate again. It's all so tedious, this cycle. And won't cardboard just disintegrate back to the earth, anyway? What's the difference if it's crammed in with all the other non-recyclables.

2. I am consuming hot dogs at an alarming rate. In the past 24 hours, beginning at 9PM yesterday evening, I have eaten 4. All have been sliced lengthwise, microwaved for 39 seconds, and then absolutely smothered in mustard and (essential) ketchup. It's like, if the ketchup wasn't there, I might cry. In fact, my last hot dog today tipped upside-down onto the plate after being condimented, and the mustard and the ketchup smeared all over, and I almost did cry.


3. I don't exercise. Okay, but this time, I really, really, really want to try. I have prenatal exercise DVDs divvied by trimester and everything. It's just the Being Green thing, and... I don't know. The more resistant part of me feels that pregnant ladies should be allowed and in fact encouraged to lay around and be lump-like for the whole of their pregnancy.


4. I'm not good at reading anymore. (Except, as always, Harry Potter.) I can't focus. I really like the book I'm reading, The Jane Austen Book Club, but it's extremely slow-going, and it's mainly because I keep getting caught up in daydreams about all the other books I want to read, or should have already read. Oh, and if I feel Too Green, I won't even try to read. I just stare.

5. I get really mad when the news preempts regularly scheduled programming. Oh wait, that has nothing to do with pregnancy. All I can say is, I was really caught up in Suzanne Somers' story about her Malibu home burning to the ground today during Ellen, and I did not need to see W's little speech about the 4-year anniversary of the Iraq War. Something that, over the next few days, will be replayed a million times and analyzed to death on news programs, anyway. I feel very strongly that there should be corresponding stations you can flip to in such an event, where the show you were watching continues to play. These channels would also be available during major weather events. Anyone wish to join my letter-writing campaign?

Quite sure there will be more to come.

2 comments:

Andria said...

I ate hot dogs like crazy when I was pregnant, too! Everyday for lunch for months! craziness. Do you not eat them in a bun? Just remember to make sure to wash them off and that they are really cooked. Sorry, that's so annoying to constantly get advice, right? You can add that to the list, too, if you want.
Maybe reading books that are about the feelings you are feeling and the stuff you are going through would be more inticing? I loved A Bun in the Oven and have heard Jenny McCarthy's Belly Laugh is highly entertaining.

mendacious said...

mmm, hotdogs.