Wednesday, March 7, 2007

a weird but true thing to say

I love my optometrist. I do. Here's all the things I love about her:

1. She doesn't make me do the eye-puff test. You know, the test where they check for glaucoma? It just doesn't work with me. I've wholly convinced my mind that tiny darts will launch directly into my eyeballs in place of air, I've psyched myself out for the next 50 visits at least, and it will just never happen. They don't even try with me anymore, and if they did, I wouldn't let 'em. Today, actually, I just looked at the machine and said, "Yeah, I don't do that." And I received no argument whatsoever.

2. She's very conversational and friendly, and in a down-to-earth way. She made just the right amount of fuss over the fact that I was pregnant and feeling ill for it. She took it in stride, but wasn't dismissive. She wasn't over-the-top excited, either. (I kinda hate that.)

3. Because I was feeling ill, she got me right the hell out of there. No dilation of the eyes, very few flippy-flippies of the lenses to check, double-check, and re-re-check which Rx I needed. She knew the prescrip, and didn't mess with it.

4. She thinks marijuana should be legalized, particularly for things like nausea. But then was quick to say, "Not that I would smoke if I were pregnant, my baby would come out high."

5. She is my number one cheerleader for someday getting Lasik surgery. I realize that she probably is for all her patients, but I still like hearing it anyway. I'm literally half-blind, so Lasik would be a really big deal for me. I'm thinking part of a tax return a few years from now? I can dream.

6. She told the guy over in the eyeglasses department to give me half off the price whatever I picked. This literally saved me almost $200.

7. She also told the same guy that I had full permission to run out of the building at any time I desired, due to Being Green.

I guess overall, my optometrist's bedside manner is on point. Is that the right context for that phrase? I think I just like to say on point. What I mean is, it's pretty perfect. Oh, and also, I can't wait to get my snazzy new eyeglasses, woohoo.

4 comments:

mendacious said...

that is totally wonderful.

also i'd go to oxford to study- art and faith.

penelope said...

sweet, man. art and faith!

Cue said...

"My baby would come out high." tee hee. I approve.

Cue said...

ps: When are you people going to take me off the naughty list? --aka People Who Do Not Blog Enough? I'm working my butt off over here! I'd like "subversive talent" back, please. Thank you for all that you do. ;)