Saturday, March 3, 2007

survivor q of the week

About Survivor, I don't have too much to say just yet. You know--you always get attached to characters later in the game, and by that point, the people who were voted out early on seem like a distant memory. I will miss Papa Smurf. I feel I would be the same way on Survivor, absolutely drained, a little Penelope Puddle absorbed in the sand within hours, much less days. All the bug bites, the sunburn, the hunger? It would not be good. I swear the bug bites alone on Papa Smurf could have been his downfall--can't all that bugginess in your bloodstream send your system into shock? What was with Jeffy's update on Papa Smurf's health, however. He won't be coming back. Thanks, Jeff, for that simultaneous display of the vague, ominous, and absolutely uninformative.

What happened to Papa Smurf is not my big question. My big question has to do with that brief nature clip toward the end of the show. As is tradition on Survivor, various nature shots, many of which are to intended to add a level of foreshadowing to the plot, are spliced in every week. We see spiders lurking, crabs creeping, slithering snakes, and fish, lots of fish. Some are pretty astounding and/or gross, but none have ever caught my attention like the one this week:

A snake, I believe a sea snake, literally vomited up another snake. The snake was white, and seemingly just as big as the first. Now, I know snakes typically lay eggs, so... I also know, courtesy of google, that some snakes do give live births. But, through their mouths? The tribe is out on this one. Maybe the first snake ate the second, and decided he didn't like it? Maybe he got what he needed, perhaps vital nutrients from the second snake's color, and then let the not-so-little guy go? I'm at a loss here--please advise. Never have I found a Survivor nature image so arresting, disturbing and confounding. If only I had a picture to illustrate.

In other news, Rocky needs to watch his tantrums, as well as his cross-dressing. I'm dying to see, should Moto ever lose a challenge, if they will have to give up their luxiorious camp a la The Apprentice: LA. And more on Anthony, and what lurks beneath that introverted, wounded-as-a-kid surface? That would be great.

3 comments:

penelope said...

update: apparently the snake was simply shedding its skin... you had to look close to see that the skin collapsed afterward. j.lo and i had pondered this theory, but on the replay it simply did not seem to be the case--the "first snake" appeared to be alive and well. anyway, it was a rather fantastic(ally disgusting) sight to behold.

Daniel Bruckner said...

You're going to miss Papa Smurf? Screw Moto! Screw them all (except for Alex. I'm still in love with his aura).

As far as Probst, when is he going to drag out his safari Jeff hat? I really miss it.

Yeah, hasn't Rocky ever watched Survivor? Every person that has ever thrown a temper tantrum like that never lasts.

Anthony is a *u*** !!! I understand Rocky's frustration. But his display of it has already cost him a million dollars. I just hope Earl doesn't take that cry baby under his wing. Because, as you may remember, Earl is my dog.

My dog!!!

Dreamz is off this week

Anonymous said...

the snake thing. i know. we watched it about 40 times and it really looked like one snake was throwing up another.