Friday, April 16, 2010

Penelope.

Hello you.
I am busy in chi! Granted its only been 2 full days but still a lifetime lived. I had some sketchy could've hurled moments on my short flight to phoenix, making me question my entire verve for traveling- at one point went to swallow a gingerpill, without water, and then accidentally clamped down on it. Had to not gag and eat like 5 pieces of gum in secession in order to get rid of all the hideous tasting granules. I managed to eat my $9 salad on the way to chicago as i debated after 4 ricecakes if i could stomach and digest it without incident. Barely... I was so glad to land and finally get to chi. I thought- did i travel too soon. What's become of me. I recovered after cath picked me up from the airport and we drove into the city. She said it was a fluke. I will try to believe her. As she reaffirms all the good parts of me and even lent me $10 as I hadn't brought any cash. (typical i know). In my defense if I'd taken the train into the city i would've bought one of those visitor pass things and i know they take CC. I think? Maybe? Why NY and Chi are this way I don't know.

Well anyway.
We capped the night off with frozen berries and water.

And began the next day with the CORNER CAFE: Southwestern Omelette with cilantro, chirzo, cheese, jalepenos (so good and savory and a perfect blend of ingrediants, stuffed to the limit).
And then after a quick diversion to target (shocking!) and joanns for craft supplies, home depot for paint etc, we went to FIVE GUYS where i had a burger and cajun fries (perfect with ketchup and had that homemade vibe, + free peanuts to shuck at the table, beats the NY shakeshack- however they did have better iced tea so i'm torn on which is better... but, seriously so stuffed to the limit). Which then after some preliminary crafting of murals (cherry blossoms) and swedish folk takes we powered through the modern wing of the AI and saw a favorite hans hoffman, reichter and this dude who replicated a fallen and decaying tree, to then my standard favorite of ARTOPOLIS in greek town, which i visit everytime i visit, for my mediterranean salad with a generous helping of fresh feta, dill, cucumber and tomato with grilled chicken on top. I can lick up the plate i love this salad so much. Simple deliciousness. I may have overdid it with the rice pudding after the fact but it was so good. What i need to do is actually stop, but did i? No. I only had 2 glasses of iced tea which was excellently flavored and at least after every overeating of awesome, we did walk it off. Sort of.

THe next day because i know you want to know, began with smoothies, an egg and vege scramble and some tasty hash, where we then worked it off by primering the dining room walls, dashing off to the surgical museum which was interesting as it was disturbing and at times overwhelmingly informational- i need stories people- triumph, miracles, gore... whatever. Giant boards of text, yawn! Some of it managed to get in but still. Then we went to nameless italian restaurant in Oldtown which had horrible iced tea. I actually asked for something else. It tasted not fresh. He contested it was brewed fresh that day... which leads me to believe it was some hideous brand. I shouldve asked. Either way, Cath had some seafood type soup which seemed heinous as the bread delicious- i had a pretty decent chicken with asparagus, cheese and spinach thing, which was pretty much almost worth the wait if i could've eaten bread and had iced tea. As it was we then went to the FUDGE POT, where i had a brick of dark chocolate w/almonds. And THEN after a requisite rest where we dismissed hanging the painting, or the room or anything else we went to TANK which had the most amazing Bo'- vietnamese dish of spectacular proportion. I got to wrap my own rolls and soak my own rice paper in a hot bowl of water, put as much cilantro, mint, basil, lettuce, beans, noodles and delicious spicy beef into the mix as i wanted and dump as much cracksauce as i wanted all over it. HEAVENLY. God, so good. No seriously.

As usual cath manages to spend 1/2 of what i spend on any meal. It occurs to me i'm trying to be economical but only if its what i want to order. But cath is helping me on all fronts by taking pity on me as she is a generous friend, which makes me just want to create art for her anyway. As i am an embodiment of the typical 'starving' artist- patronage is a mightly blessing. And so is really good food. As you can see.

Tomorrow promises more of the same. Perhaps a mellower eating schedule. ANd more crafting? But I can't be certain. It takes a lot of energy all of this eating and going out and exploring the bright and shiny loveliness of the blue sky, breezes, trees budding green, tulips blooming and the charm that is Chicago at its best. Did i mention the food? I mean I know i couldve described it better but i have to go laydown.

m.

2 comments:

Somebodys mom said...

Ha!
Work girl! Walk! Paint.

It's all good and you only have a few days to do it.

Take ginger pills before you get on the planes on Monday.

pen said...

I am SO hungry.