Monday, April 26, 2010

m-dacious,

I freakin’ love the snowball flowers. Here’s how our garden grows.

Well first there’s the tree that was knocked down by high winds yesterday. It’s still there, looking just like this until J.Lo can procure a chainsaw. We all knew that sucker was diseased and wasn’t going to last forever, and in fact, once it broke, we saw that it was maybe 75% deadwood. Hanging on by a thread. But still, it’s tragic. Yard desperately needs so more trees now. I wasn’t prepared to lose the side yard curb appeal so soon, but thank you Baby Jesus, for not letting it land on my car. That was very nice of you.

P1050471

In happier news, the lantana is starting to flower. Pretty, happy lantana.

P1050473

I have an actual cabbage patch! What is that all about? You might, in fact, be responsible.

P1050474 

The roses, after some stupidly gloveless pruning last week, are starting to flower.

P1050475

The spinach from seed isn’t really spinach. Huh! It’s basil, from last year. Crafty basil, I missed you.

P1050477

And then of course, there’s the Incredible Hulklike zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes. Bordered by chive insanity.

P1050476

It’s time for mulch. The planter box flowers persist and I may or may not be OCD about deadheading, which I guess is what you’re supposed to do, but I don’t maintain any other habit with such gusto, so you know. That’s good.

1 comment:

Somebody's mom said...

I looked up Wilmington NC and they have a guess where the pictured tree grows, contest and once a month give a tree or is it a reduced priced tree? Dang shouldn't be that hard to remember. I tried to find a list of recommended trees for your area there, but didn't. You already know about Sunset Magazine's plant site. I am so happy that the tree didn't land on your car. We know something about what a dent they can make. Deadheading is a fun task. Snap.
We have a bunch of birdseed that is now sprouting. clearly it is in the grass family being monocots. Will they be invasive? Should I weed right away or see what they look like? decisions decisions.