Thursday, May 8, 2008

W just bought my dog a new leg.

We should get our rebate check next week. Originally, I flaked and thought for some reason the last 2 of the SSN in question was 09, but it's 99. So sad. But not really, because by now I would have had the thing spent, and that would have been bad. Because my dog, my Bender-dog, my B-dog Girl, needs to have surgery. She's been limping around for a few weeks now, not appearing to be in any pain, but clearly not using the one back leg. She's still running, playing, not wincing, which is why we waited to take her to the vet. You know they pretty much rape your wallet for making eye contact with your animal. And our wallet is scheduled to be dearly raped on Monday. The ligament that holds Bender's knee together is completely blown. The other back leg may not be long to follow. It's degenerative, nothing we could do. And she's less than half her life expectancy, only 5 1/2 years old, so of course we are going to fix her. The poor thing. She's not going to move the same again, but hopefully will respond well to the surgery. Which is the "cheap" surgery. At $1,100. So, um, thanks W. Consider this our little contribution to help recharge the economy. And our dog. 

11 comments:

Andria said...

sadness! All around. . poor Bender and your wallets! ouch! At least you did get a little extra to help offset, but I'm sure you had imagined spending it a few different ways that didn't include under the knife for anyone!

mendacious said...

sniff. fuck.

http://www.doggon.com/home.html

check these guys out. my friend's dog uses them and she swears by them- so if it ever comes to that you'll be ready.

poor girl.

Anonymous said...

My bro and his wife have a 3-legged cat. It used to have a "kickstand" (3/4 leg), but they had to get it fully amputated. They told him he can't cost them any more money.

penelope said...

I totally picture Bender on wheels someday! Breaking my heart. Or with 3 legs, even. Pets! Why do they cause us to worry so much.

ashley said...

Poor Bender Dog. I'm sorry about the money, tho. That's a bummer.

Anonymous said...

Poor Bender. But in a case like this, money-shmoney. I would have sold my car/house/kidney (okay, maybe my baby-- it was a very emotional time) if it would have meant Moonpie could stick around a little longer.

Good Luck, Bender!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Oh I'm so sorry to read this! I have two dogs who are truly like babies to me. Best of luck to you and your adorable pooch!

Jessica said...

good luck Bender girl!

~sarah said...

Hey remember the dog on the Drew Carey show? Speedy? He was on wheels and he did just fine!

Good luck Bender and milk it for all it's worth!

And Pen, at least your paying for your dog and not something stupid and lifeless like your car. That would probably make your wallet feel a lot worse.

penelope said...

very true--is that car still stealing money from your wallet?!

penelope said...

hey, jessica!

WHAT is your email address? email me: convincingj@gmail.com