Monday, May 5, 2008

meanwhile

The entire soundtrack of Annie plays continuously in my head, bits and pieces of "Easy Street," commingled with "We've got Annie!" and "Little girls, little girls, every day I eat sleep and breathe them." I'm trying to convince myself that a handful of chopped-up cashews won't totally destroy the butterscotch brownies baking in the oven. And I ponder the Big Question, the Real Matter at Hand: What am I going to do for 28 days without mendacious? 

Oh sure, you say, she's living her dream and all. Scratching that travel-bug itch that's been nagging at her for several years now. And several years it's been--we've passed the "three" mark, so I can officially say "several"--since mendacious and I have been face to face. We live over 3,000 miles away. But whatever, she is totally abandoning me! I ask you, how am I supposed to hold down the blog front for that long. How can I singlehandedly uphold the legend that is penelope and mendacious? 

Sure, she says she's going to seek and use the Internet wherever and whenever it is available, but we all know that she will be staying in a one-room hut with a dirt floor, and will be lucky to hunt down the local shaman, to whom she'll have to fork over a fiver every two minutes while he pretends to divine what's happening over here in the USA. 

She's cutting us off, guys. Rainforests, ruins, volcanoes and beaches, my foot. Mendacious is going on vacay to like, see and experience the world or whatever? But she's really just forcing us all into a 28-day program of a different kind. 

M, I hope you are able to sleep at night! You have seven whole months to think about what you did. 

Oh yeah, and I am happy for you. I guess. 

Poutily yours, 
pen

P.S. You may be able to make it up to me someday, should you continue to invite me on adventures until such time that I can actually go with you. Which granted, may be 40+ years from now, but I'm prepared to hobble alongside you in foreign, magical lands. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sis-in-law saw Annie for the first time this weekend...and she was a theater major! (And interested in children's theater even.)

Cashews in brownies sound yummy to me.

ashley said...

28 days - isn't that like the standard rehab program? Are we getting M-detoxed? I don't like it.

mendacious said...

ha. ha. awesome. well it's more like pen detoxing from me. when i come back she'll be like, whatev's mendacious i don't need you. i started 3 other blogs and wrote a book without you. and i'll be all what?! lame! i need you now more than ever before!