Tuesday, February 5, 2008

well, damn.

Sometimes, gravity just wins? I mean, this shelf has been up for man, I don't know, a year and a half? I can't even remember when we put it up, and J.Lo is pretty darn methodical with hanging things on the wall. Minutes after lunch today, there's this big crash and the sound of glass shattering. N.Lo is down in the den in his swing, and all I can think is please whatever is, don't let it have landed on the baby?! It didn't, thank heaven, but I can't tell you how much this couch, in all of its ghetto glory, gets used during the day. Mostly by the dogs, but J.Lo plays video games there, K.Lo watches movies there, I've been known to nurse the baby there. It just would have been bad, had any of us been there at that moment.

It was a cool purple vase that was shattered to bits and pieces, as well as a big globe-y candle holder filled with red hots for V-Day. There's my Martha Stewartness being smashed to pieces. And can I also just thank Baby Jesus that I recently purchased a dustbuster to try and clean up all this mess? Although I think I have glass in my hand, and I worry about errant shards being discovered months later in a most unsurreptitious manner. That happened to me once. I'm glad I haven't been feeling very symbolic lately; otherwise, this incident might have bothered me more.















4 comments:

erin j said...

we have things on our house that I REMEMBER finding studs for so they would stay up, slowly pulling from the wall... Maybe it has something to do with the world slowly starting to spin in a nother direction and no one telling us? sigh...
I'm glad that no one was hurt. You will, of course, find shards forever and ever... how does that happen? super sigh... I'm going to invent a glass finder that will find even the smallest glass shard and make it turn into huge amounts of chocolate!

mendacious said...

blogger doesn't want me to comment!

but thank baby jesus you are all right. what sort of glass mishaps have you had before?! was it a plot against the mints?

Anonymous said...

Scary! So glad no one was sitting there.

Once had a large glass vase that was filled with marbles sitting on the fireplace mantle that was knocked over by one of the cats in the middle of the night. Bad kitty! Clearly there wasn't enough room to walk behind it. What a noise and a mess. After the crash the rolling of marbles across the hardwood floor....

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Thank God no one was sitting there. And if you want to find all the glass shards just have my husband sit on the couch. He's magnetically attracted to tacks on the floor and shards of glass wherever they are. Of course, the discovery of said pointy objects is usually accompanied by strenuous cursing so you might want the kids out of the room...But yeah, good thing no one was sitting there. I had a gargoyle fall on my head once. True story. Ask your daddums-in-law.